new tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

euge43

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Just started a new tank salt water tank about 7 weeks ago. Live rock in it. About 80 kg. Running a D D 800 skimmer. V2 600 uv sterilized. Either I have my filter media back to front or something is wrong. Some of the rock has a slight tint of a lime green colour. They where all nice purple when I got them. Please please help. O the tank is about 950 litres. I think that's about 190 gallons.

It sounds as though you had some purple or pink coraline algae on the live rock, and now you have soem green algae taking over. Coraline can actually be green as well. Unfortunately there's no way I know of to get the color you want out of it.

It could also be another type of algae as well.

What are your calcium, alkalinity, phosphate, and nitrate readings? What kind of lighting do you have and what is the photoperiod?

Yes. Been testing it every two days. Nitrate about 10 phosphate 0.18. Ammonia 0. This is up and down all the time.
What I have read so far is to wait for it to complete its cycles.
When would it suit to put in a cleaning crew.

Been keeping the lights off. Using ai vega colour led system. just been keeping the wave makers running. And actually only natural light from outside but no sun light.
water temp is about 26 degrees celcius and salinity 1.026

What is your water source? (Tap, LFS, RODI, etc.)

Does the green algae come off easily, almost in a mat? If so, it may be cyanobacteria, which is a complete pain. It grows quickly and can make a tank look absolutely nasty in no time flat. Phosphates and nitrates are fertilizers for it. While your nitrates aren't too bad, the phosphates are pretty high.

Yeah i agree, my tap water is well water about 40meters down, had it tested all ok except for very high reading of iron. So i have bought my self a RO filter system and charge pump. So only been using RO water at water changes.

The algae very light green in colour and almost looks like its part of the rock, no hair algae yet.

Back
Top Bottom