Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-06-2012, 09:39 PM   #1
KDS
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

New tank, 3 weeks into cycle. Whats this?

Is this brown stuff on my dry rock good or bad? If its bad, how to remove? Currently 3 weeks into a cycle w/1 oscellaris clown and 4 small hermit crabs.
Thanks in advance!

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8451.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	257.0 KB
ID:	75252  

Old 02-06-2012, 09:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

looks like you are having a diatom bloom which is good and it will go away as your tank cycles....your pH might be low due to your cycling....just make sure that you are around 1.023 or so specific gravity with the correct salt mix and sit on your hands for six weeks or more with regular water changes

also get a turkey blaster as you can just blow it off the rock when you clean your tank and do water changes....

just keep testing for ammonia which will go up then down followed by the same with nitrates, then nitrites...testing once a week is plenty, as the big thing you need right now is to just wait for the cycle to complete which can take 4-6 weeks or more

Old 02-06-2012, 10:07 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I would recommend testing for ammonia more frequently than once a week since you have fish in the tank. When you get ammonia readings you really need to do a water change so that the fish can survive.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
I would recommend testing for ammonia more frequently than once a week since you have fish in the tank. When you get ammonia readings you really need to do a water change so that the fish can survive.
+1 it might not go up now since you're 3weeks into it but like Carey said, since you have livestock you should check to make sure. Do a water change if there is ammonia. Have you already had an ammonia spike? The brown is diatoms and is perfectly normal. You could remove it, but it will go away on its own. Sometimes it will disappear over night. What is your light cycle?
Old 02-06-2012, 10:57 PM   #5
KDS

Thank you both for the advice! Will update soon.

Kevin
Old 02-06-2012, 10:58 PM   #6
KDS

My light cycle is on for about 12 hours. It is a simple 48" florescent light. I do not appear to have had an ammonia spike yet; I added Bio-Spira about two weeks ago, not sure if that makes a difference.

Kevin
Old 02-06-2012, 11:04 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'd say take the lights down to 9-10 hrs. It will help with the algae. Don't have personal experience with bio spira, I just used the ole cocktail shrimp to kick start my cycle. It seems to be doing what it advertises for you though. How much live sand and rock do you have?
Old 02-06-2012, 11:09 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

+1 on dialing back on the light cycle. Especially until your tank is better established. mine has been up for 6 months and algea still gets out of hand sometimes. Just be sure to keep up on the water changes and use ro water it helps keep the algea down due to the lower phosphate
Old 02-06-2012, 11:21 PM   #9
KDS

I have 50# dry rock, 60# of aragonite sand, an Aquamaxx HOB-1 skimmer and an Emperor 400 filter.

Kevin
Old 02-06-2012, 11:24 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

What size tank?

Tags
cycle, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com