New Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GSXRDan

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am in the process of starting a marine tank. I went and bought all the necessary equipment from my local fish store (Protein Skimmer, Hang on Filter, Powerhead for extra water movement, Dual Light, and so on) I hooked everything up, added pre-mixed saltwater, let the temp adjust to 77, and then I went to the store and bought 15 lbs of live rock(I was told it had been in the store long enough that it was cured and good for immediate induction to the tank) and a reef substrate. It has been three days since I added that and I have seen almost no change in any of my levels (pH, ammonia, nitrate, or nitrite) However there was green long hair like algae on the rocks and it has now turned rusty, brown. What is going on?

I just got home from work and this algae is taking over my whole damn tank yet. I tested my water again and everything appears good. The algae is brown and is growing longer and longer and starting to grow on my substrate. I really need some advice

When you say everything appears good, do you mean all are at 0? Can you give those parameters? It's completely normal in a new tank to go through an algae period as the nutrients rise and fall . . . so it may just need patience. The parameters would help people figure out where you are, though.

Back
Top Bottom