new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kribbz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i was at work today and was digging threw the shed for some stuff and found a 44 gallon tank. measurments 36X12X24. i asked if i could have it and the said sure so i took it home filled it up with water and almost all edges leak so i was wondering what i needed to do to seal this thing up and also what i could use to clean it and get it ready to be used.

i have resealed a tank before, just get a razor and clean out the inside only. carefully not to remove what seals the glass. then go get some silicone made by "GE" , i cant remember the specific model number but look for the one to use on aquariums. Seal it all the way around inside on all corners including the bottom. let it dry completely, it says 24 hours i think, but i did let mine cure for 48 hours before i added water to test it.

The stuff I use is available at Home Depot/Lowes. It is GE 100% Pure Silicone. DO NOT get the stuff for kitchens/bathrooms...it contains a mildew inhibitor. This is clear silicone and isn't labeled for any specific use eg...bathrooms, kitchens, windows, doors.... It works very well because it is exactly the same stuff you get from the LFS at a fraction of the price. Pretty sure this is the same silicone Barney is talking about.

no scratches or anything just leaks

Well then you're in the clear :lol:

Seriously though i would be sure it is sealed properly. I don't know how handy you are, but you might want to consider breaking the tank down and basically starting with just a couple pieces of glass. You probably don't know how old or what the heck has been through. I agree get a razor, peel the piece apart and buy completely new seals and use this silicone gel everyone is talking about.

Thats just what i would do.

-Dan

Back
Top Bottom