New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spongeynip

Aquarium Advice Regular
ok, right now im sharin a 55 gal. tank with my friend. But I want my own now, and I need to no what the best stuff 2 get is. I have a filter, but I need 2 reduce my copper levels. Also a lighting system for a saddle anemone. I also have a heater and all the fish and supplies. But I dont get this whole ionizer and Uv filter thing :? . If there's any other outside apparatus I need please let me no. I no its alot to ask, but if you no the answer to at least 1 of these questions, the help wuold be greatly appreciated. Thanx in advance :smilecolros:

What type of tank are you trying to keep? If you have copper in the tank than you will always have copper in the tank. From my understanding you can never get the traces of copper completely gone. This will greatly reduce your options most likely to a fish only tank. What size tank do you have? What other equipment do you have? Others have much more experience with this than I as I have never needed to dose with copper medications.

I have a 29 gal. tank with a power filter (which will be replaced with a skimmer), a submercible heater, one of those sticks that blasts out air in the water, 30 lbs of crushed coral and 10 lbs of live rock (gettin more soon), and 1 normal output flourecsent light. I haven't detected any copper yet, but my friend has copper levels, and I was concerend because all her shrimp died, so I thought copper was something removable. But I guess not. Whant Im concerened about is keeping the water clean with something like a uv sterilizer, reverse osmosis deal, or a deionizer. But I dont no which is right for me, and any help would be appreciated.

The copper can be removed but traces will still likely be absorbed in the rock etc. This may seep into the water over time. If the substrate and rock is not taken from your friends tank you will likely have no problems in the future. You also might want to check into using LS instead of CC. CC tends to hold detritus and need more cleaning to keep nitrate levels down. Just a idea for you to think about.

Erik

The cc I bought was pretty expensive, so would layin a layer of ls over the cc suffice? If not thats alright, cause my friend could use some new substrate :)
thanx
trent

How does one share a tank? Just wondering.

Anyways, even if you "layer" the CC with the sand, the CC will end up as the top layer since the sand will sink to the bottom pretty quickly. Take the advice and consider dropping the CC from your setup.

The UV is not an important investment right now either. You need to consider purchasing a good skimmer, an RO/DI filter, and some more LR. If you can't afford the RO/DI unit right now do not use tap water to fill the tank. Purchase water from the LFS or buy bottled (RO or Distilled) from your local WalMart.

Where is the "source" of copper coming from?

one of those sticks that blasts out air
You don't need this in a marine tank. :D

Also, for the Anemone you may want to consider a stronger lighting system. In addition to the lighting, I would hold off for about 6 months before adding one to your tank.
I am curious to know where the copper is coming from as well. Anemone's will not survive in a tank with traces of copper.

Mike

I just bought some of the things, and its just a common tank we have in the assembly room at school (the shared tank). And about the copper, I dont know where it came from. Levels are stronger around the bottom explaining the rather quick death of our coral banded shrimp, but I do know that this tank at school is only 2 months old, and apparently we never tested for copper, and all of the sudden, the shrimp and other inverts just died :( . I guess its nothing 2 worry about since I haven't got any in my tank by a recent test.

Also, thanx for the advice AB, I am using water from the pet store right now, but I am planning to get my own setup, and there's a sale on reverse osmosis things so that sounds like a good plan. I'll also ditch the cc.

And about the lighting. I did know 2 wait 6 months to stablilize, but I dont know about lights. I want a variety of corals, and I was suggested to get lights to equal 8 watts per gallon. Also, some anemones need sun and meat. Does anyone know what the diet of a saddle anemone would be.

Much thanx
-Trent

Back
Top Bottom