Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-23-2003, 12:27 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to SoylentGrundy
Anyone else ever use Mollies for cycling? I found them to be very hardy, cheap, (and expendable).

Old 07-23-2003, 08:58 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hi Sok! I tried the web page you offered but it would not go through. So far, I spent abt $200(tank, filter,thermo)..I want to go slow with this and do it the best I can without loosing fish. We are looking into having a cabinet built so it will be similar to a TV/Aquarium side-by-side.

The thing is I am not good with 'chemistry'..AT ALL! This will be a bit difficult until the "light bulb" comes on! That has me a bit worried..but that is why I am here!

Old 07-23-2003, 11:16 AM   #13
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbizon
The thing is I am not good with 'chemistry'..AT ALL!
Try reading this >>article<<. It can be very good at easing you into the basics.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-24-2003, 09:35 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks Steve! I am going to print it out! I have a few books now..many put the scare into the newbee wanting to have a SW tank.

How many of you began with a FW tank or did you jump right in to the SW?
Old 07-24-2003, 09:39 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Umm...excuse me? Expendable fish. You think it is okay to expend fish during your cycling? That is great! (sarcastic)
Old 07-24-2003, 11:32 AM   #16
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbizon
How many of you began with a FW tank or did you jump right in to the SW?
I had a FW tank about 15 yrs ago, but I doubt I could help anyone with the simplest problem now .. LOL. I do however have a 35g pond in the foyer of the apt. Nothing has ever gone wrong with it (touch wood) so it's been stress free.

I will be bugging the FW guru's soon as I will be wanting to start growing water plants though.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-24-2003, 11:41 AM   #17
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkos
Umm...excuse me? Expendable fish. You think it is okay to expend fish during your cycling? That is great! (sarcastic)
While no animals should be considered expendable by any means, mollies can be a good choice for certain scenarios in SW. They can easily be converted to SW and breed quite easily in the home aquarium.

When you consider the impact of collecting wild specimens from the ocean vs breeding your own, one impacts the ecology much much less than the other. I think it's a choice of the lesser of two evils.

Proper thought and planning can avoid these issues though. Fishless cycling as well as avoiding animals that must be fed live foods is the most conscientious (sp?) way and one that I fully support.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-27-2003, 01:20 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Steve, I would support you on that. It would be very difficult for me to "hand over" a live fish to another for another one's dinner. It's even hard for me to watch animal shows that show survival of the fittest etc. I get teary eyed and am quite a wimp on that! I know that's how life is and is meant to be but....

With my FW tank..I liked the FW 'sharks' the pet store had..but, they would eventually grow to large for my desk-top tank I have at school..I asked "What then?" ..the employee said "Aw..just flush 'em when they get too big!" 8O !!

I did find a store that takes the ones that get too large for the owner's tank etc..you can trade them in!

Ok, I will get 'corney' here...The beauty of life is life itself.

Barbara

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com