New Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reeling reefer

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a new 180 gallon oceanic tank, filled it up with water and noticed it was 1/4 inch not level. I have been getting some mixed opinions on this, I would pefer it level, but its up against a wall and I cant shim it, also I hate to have pressure uneven on the stand, if I do shim it up 1/4 on one side it won't lay flat on the floor. The stand is also oceanic. I think I am just going to leave it, any thoughts?

I severely regret not shimming my tank properly. No disasters yet, but it just looks bad when the water level is just a bit below the trim.

Why can't you shim it against the wall? If you measure the amount you need to shim, you can put the shims down on the floor and put the stand on top. the excess shim amount can be trimmed off so it doesn't run into the wall.

The tank is already filled with water, rocks, sand, even if I drain the water its still very heavy. I hate to have the stand not lay even on the hardwood floor.

180 gallons is pretty heavy. I lifted my 125 up with piano movers. It lifts it up about 3/4 inch off the floor to move. That should work for you.

stand not lay even on the hardwood floor.
A small piece of molding tacked or glued in front will make this unnoticable.
Is it just one truss that is 1/4" low or does the whole floor slope? You could always lift the floor up 1/4". I raised mine when I installed my tank.

Can you reach the base of the stand from the inside, or is the bottom shelf blocking the way?

I assume your problem now is the enormity of the task of fixing the problem?

I would lift the floor. It is not as hard as you think. I lifted my floor and build 3 piers under it to hold the weight of the tank.

It depends on the building code where you live. Here they make it practicly impossible to legally modify your own home.

Back
Top Bottom