New Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeT

Aquarium Advice Newbie
A friend of mine is cleaning out his garage and is going to give me his 55g tank and various coral, pump, filter, heater, pretty much everything he had. it is all in very good condition.

Ive never had saltwater, but have always wanted to try it .

After reading about cycling i figured i would set everything up and get ther water to where it neds to be. I am not in a rush at all, but how long does this process take? more than a month?

After all is set up and working well I was thinking about the fish. I am not sure how many are possible, but since this tank will be a big part of my living room, obviously i want it to have as many fish as i can in it.

Is this too many?

2 clownfish
2 cardinals
1 butterfly
3 anthias
2 wrasses

I know it seems like alot but i think all of these fish are pretty small.
If this is okay which fish to start with and how often to add new fish?
what would the best wrasses be for this community? I also would like maybe a crab or other invertabrate.
Would a lionfish be a killer mixed in with this group, or maybe a puffer?

I think that you need to be a bit more specific on the types of some of those fish you want before a definitive answer can be given. Generically speaking, I think that is too many fish for a 55 gallon tank. You will need many items such as snails, crabs, seastars etc that will act as a maintenance crew as well. Your statement that the fish are all pretty small, is not really correct either. They may start out small, but some that you have listed, get to a pretty decent size.

Some species of lions would do ok in a tank that small, not many. Yes, they will eat some of your fish on your list.

Sorry I wasnt trying to be so vague.
i was thinking of the
Ocellaris Clown
Orange Butterfly
Spotted Cardinal
I was thinking of maybe dropping the Anthias, and maybe adding some Pseudochromis.
as far as the Wrasses I really wasnt sure.
I was definitely planning for the maintinance crew as well. THe Lionfish would probably be too much for this tank, but what about the Puffer?

There are some smaller species of puffers, valentini (saddle-backed), hawaiian spotted puffer, that would do alright. As mentioned, they will limit your choice of clean up crew members. You should also plan to get a skimmer, it will be very beneficial.

Back
Top Bottom