Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-07-2007, 11:39 PM   #11
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

1. Depends on what you have and compatibility of what you have.

2. There are definitely some anenomes you could have with that much lighting.

3. NO

4. It will have some die off and will need to be cured. Here is a link on curing. I would cure it and cycle your tank at the same time.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...aq=2&fldAuto=6

5. What ever looks good to you. Personal preference matters here because you have to sit there and look at it.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 12:07 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to pph_2ppr
is that a no that u havent heard of paradise cove or it is a bad choice?

what type of anenomes could i get with the lighting i described...i havent decided between long tentacled, carpet, and pink tipped hatian anenome. could i get all 3?

Old 03-08-2007, 01:40 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
if live rock is shipped and is in around freezing temperatures for 4-5 days will it still be good to seed an aquarium?
Probably not. Second day is about the longest you want to ship LR. The cold alone will kill things very fast, let alone being out of water that long.
Quote:
1/2.Is it required to use a refractometer or is a hydrometer fine?
Hydrometers are ok to start w/. The Instant Ocean ones are accurate IME. I had two I compared w/ a refractometer and both where only off by SG .001. One was high, one low.
Quote:
5.what is the best way to arrange liverock in a skinny 55 gal aquarium?
When you find out let me know lol. It's hard to get any depth w/ a 55. You can see my 55 gal in my gallery if your interested.
Quote:
what type of anenomes could i get with the lighting i described
Anemones require stable water chemistry along with mature aquariums. They should not be added to tanks under six months old-preferably closer to a year old. Having said that, bubble-tip anemones are relatively hardy and not overly aggressive.They are also commonly aquacultured/captive bred, which means buying one does not contribute to reef destruction. Carpet anemones have very potent stings, and tend to wander around the aquarium more than others. A bad combination if you plan on housing other coral with it. I would recommend no more than two different types of anemone in a 55.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:57 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Re: new tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by pph_2ppr
Some people reccomend that I don't use this website forums like this because theres to much mixed info, but I decided to give it a shot.
Looks like everyone else is answering your questions just fine, but your comment struck me as interesting...

I have yet to find a hobby (or addiction, as some may call it) that has one set way of doing things. The biggest rookie mistake in ANY hobby is listening to the first person you hear and thinking what they said is the Gospel. In anything, there are always different opinions on the "right" way to do things. And many of those opinions will eventually get you to the same place. In other words, sometimes there's more than one correct answer. (Don't get me wrong though - there are some just plain wrong answers too!)

With that said, I think you will find a fair amount of agreement on this site about the way people have done things in the past that have worked best for them. It's up to you to filter the information and take ownership of your tank.

Just a guess... but would the people that told you not to visit internet forums be people at your local fish store?

edit: Oh... and spring for a refractometer up front. It's just one less thing you need to worry about and they're super easy and quick to use.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:51 AM   #15
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

No, I`ve never heard of them.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 09:19 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

lol yes the majority of them were from the store, but there were a few other people who just have aquariums, probably told by their lfs too.

i was wondering how hermit crabs fair in your guys' aquariums?

how long do i need to mature my tank before i can add some non-hardy inverts?

do you really need liverock to seed base rock? or does it become live in the curing process?
Old 03-08-2007, 10:28 AM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Quote:
lol yes the majority of them were from the store, but there were a few other people who just have aquariums, probably told by their lfs too.

do you really need liverock to seed base rock? or does it become live in the curing process?
Quote:
I am not a big fan of hermits, but I have 3-4 in my 55G. They are great cleaners. Make sure you buy larger, empty shells for them to grow into.
Quote:
You can add them when your cycle is complete. I like Nassarius Snails cerith snails, a fighting conch, brittle stars. Start with a small amount and add to them. In newer tanks, you will need to let some build up occure so they don't starve.
Quote:
Base rock will become live. Keep in mind, "live" means hosting the nitrifying bacteria that converts ammonia and nitrItes into nitrAtes. The other critters are a bonus. I have 150Lbs of base rock (from marcorocks.com) and am adding cured LR I buy from my LFS, as nice pieces come in.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 05:24 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

You don't need a ton of cured LR but you will need something to seed your tank with. As for aranging your LR, it is a trial and error kind of thing. If you are patient and take your time during your cycle you can play with the arrangement of your rocks and not bother your critters later.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:06 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

i just bought new powerheads, so i have 3 of them that flow at a rate of 200GPH. This makes the water move like crazy making it look impossible for something to live in...the sand is getting stirred up on the bottom and everything. is this too much flow?

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com