New Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

qqrooney

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello guys.. I just joined the club with a 250G tank, got a great deal from the LFS and just couldnt pass it up. I had a reef tank for a year a couple of years ago. Now the tank came with everything and the LFS guys installed and set it up as well. The only thing I dont like about it is the stuff in the sump. It has 5 chambers, 1st is the water coming from the overflow, 2nd chamber has cotton rolls, carbon bags, bio balls. 3rd has a UV sterilizer or something like that. 4th has the skimmer and heaters, last is the return pump. I would like to set it up the best for a reef, so should I take out all the crap thats in there? I'll post a pic to show you exactly whats in there. Let me know what you think, Thanks

Sounds like a great start to me. I am hoping to build up to that in the future. Maybe algae instead of cotton balls though.

How do you post pics that are uploaded in the photo gallery? Thanks

I have the pics in the gallery can I have in the post? or Do I just link them here? Thanks

Just hit upload and click on browse and go to where the pic is on your computer and submit. The only thing I might do differently is replace the filter mrdia and bio balls with LR rubble. You could also combine your equipment to keep one of the sections open and grow come macro algea in it. You`ll need a light for it though.

I second Melosu58's suggestions. I'd also replace the cotton and bio balls w/ LR. Refugiums are great on reefs for a couple reasons, and the lighting can be kept very simple. You may want to look into adding one.

BTW Welcome to Aquarium Advice!

Sounds good as you already have the chambers set. I agree with the others in just removing the bio-balls and filter media and replacing with LR. You can also add the macro algea to that section. Is it possible to move the uv and skimer into the second and third sections? If so you might want to do that and move the LR into the fourth right before the return.

Back
Top Bottom