Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-15-2006, 03:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
New Tank--Added Gouramis

Hello All! I am the proud owner of a newly cycled 29 gallon tank. It took me a long painful 6 weeks to cycle the tank but today my water was fine!! I bought two gouramis- neon blue dwarf and one red flame dwarf. They seem to be very shy but I figured they are just trying to adjust to the move.

How long should I wait before adding more fish? I plan to get a two pearl gouramis, a few mollies and two rainbow fish. I wanted a school of fish but I read that tetras and gouramis would not get along. Any advice would be appreciated.

fishphenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 04:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
Welcome to AA fishphenome.

How much ammonia did you use to cycle the tank? I'm asking because if you used a lot than you'd have enough bacteria to process your entire tank's bio load, but if you used only a little than you don't have that much bacteria. So, IMO, that's really your deciding factor.

My 6 tetras get along fine w/ my dwarf gourami. However in the begining they chased him around a bit, but nothing too aggressive. Although I've recently noticed he's missing half of one of his "feelers". I don't know how that happened.

10g - 3 Feeders, 1 Bolivian Ram, 1 Bluegill?
40 Breeder - Eastern Painted
50g Rubbermaid - Mississippi Map
I work at an LFS..
Todd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 05:57 PM   #3
Algae Fighter

Send a message via MSN to JustOneMore20
IME tetras and gouramis get along fine. I really think that 4 gouramis is a little much for a 29g tank. Male gouramis don't always get along, and chances are you'll have all males. I'd just keep the two you have now and get some tetras or rasboras. In a bigger tank, I think that all the gouramis you want would work, but not a 29g IMO.

And if you want rainbowfish, you'll have to get more than 2. They are schoolers so I'd get atleast 6. I hope you are going for the dwarf neon rainbows or threadfin rainbows because most of the others get around 4 inches, which is too large for a 29g.
2 planted tanks: 40g, 20g ; 38g Reef tank
My links to pics: 40g breeder planted build, 40g breeder planted update, My 38g Reef Build

JustOneMore20 is offline   Reply With Quote

gourami, gouramis, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com