New tank algea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jspires688

Aquarium Advice Freak
New tank has brown dust like algea on everything all perimeters are good what could be the cause

That's incredibly common in new tanks. It should set dying out and being replaced by "higher" algaes in a week or so.

I believe these are diatoms have a read on them not beneficial at all but good sign in a new tank that the chemical reactions are happening, I would dusts them off and siphon out as they can get out of control

Ok good I set this tank up with water and live rock from my other tank this one is only ten gallons so I never had a cycle I was afraid this was something to do with that

I checked them they are at .25 which is what my larger tank seems to stay at too

I had the same at the start of my tank all I did was add phosphate remover to filter, dust/scrape diatoms off let the water settle and siphon gravel about a weeks worth of battling and never had it since, also you can get diatom filters but I think thats if you can't control it. Let me know how you get on.

Right now they are the same I am just letting them run there course I think they will go away

Hey I'm just finishing my cycle and I had the same brown string like algae your speaking of. From What I've read these are diatoms. <correct me if I'm wrong. All I did for treating it was using my magnetic cleaner. I think what really eliminated it was RO water I started topping off with. I finally stopped being lazy and payed .29 cents a gallon refill at my local Meijer. :p
I haven't seen the algea pop back up since then. Maybe this will help ya. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom