New tank all milky after adding sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KFEdaddy2k

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just thought I share a picture of what a tank looks like after adding sugar-fine sand. Yep, it gets all milky white. Mine has cleared up nicely after a couple of days with the help of a HOB filter with a carbon bag in it. Anyway, to all the noobs like me, yes this is supposed to happen.

DSC_0501_001.jpg

More pics can be found at http://www.ernstech.com/gallery/setup29 if interested.

Kurt

You can limit this by lowering the sand to the bottom in little bags and then pouring them out from there.

A quick update, this is the tank after four days. I have removed the HOB filters.

p.s. I had to put the rock in, just to have something to look at until I get my base rock and LR. :)

DSC_0513.jpg

If you think This is Bad

Just unloaded 250lbs of Old Castle Stone Sand into a new 175 bow. Drained then refilled. Looks more like vitamin d than 2%. No Guts No Glory!!!

CaribSea Sugar-Fine on the bottom, 30 lbs. CaribSea Reef Grade on top, 15 lbs. It's a 29 gal tank.

Kurt

I was lucky enough to find 6 bags of the tropical play sand at Home Depot. Loaded my tank last night and has run 8 hours now with lots of filters. Has cleared very little as of yet.

Draining back down today to level the sand and put 100lbs of live sand from liverocks.com as the top layer. Also have 120lbs key rock coming from them--guess its gonna go in a trash can for a few days.

I use the plastic bag method and it works quite well, not 100%, but much better.

jeffw85 said:
put 100lbs of live sand from liverocks.com as the top layer

I got my live sand from them, and it is full of critters. I see worm tracks all of the time! Very happy.

I rinse the heck out of my sand aragonite (non live) and then add to tank. Fill the tank with fresh water, pump the water out, and usually its all good from there. When I do the final fill I cover the sandbed with plastic wrap so that the water pouring on it doesn't stir anything up and keeps the fine sand from getting in the water column. Once its full, carefully remove the plastic wrap and it should be crystal clear in about 30min - 2 hours.

Back
Top Bottom