Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-15-2012, 06:49 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopitar
Checked water again today ammonia 0.25 nitrite 0.25 and nitrate between 0 and 5... No clue whats going on water is super cloudy and none of CUC died but seems like another mini cycle starting
It seems that your tank did not go through a good cycle since there isnt enough BB to convert ammonia/nitrites over. As mentioned above, you should probably remove the cuc and add a stronger ammonia source. The CUC gives off very little bioload.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yesterday I decided to go with option B at the risk of losing my small CUC and added a yellow tail damsel to hopefuly help with the bio load.
Today took readings again:
Ammonia between 0 and 0.25
Nitrite droped to 0
Nitrate between 0 and 5

Tank is still very cloudy even if skimmer is running 24/7 and none of CUC died.
Is the cloud and dirt on glass diatoms ?
Hopefuly the damsel solves my cycle

Old 11-16-2012, 06:41 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

I wouldnt have done that. You started out right, just stopped too soon and not enough ammonia source IMHO. The fish will now be basically living in a cesspool while the tank finishes its cycle. That is very stressful for them and often you end up losing the fish. Also, if it survives, damsels get fairly aggressive as they age. Depending on what you plan to put into the tank it could cause issues later.

Just my 2 cents worth, not hating or anything.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:20 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Years ago, people (at least the ones I knew) did the damsel cycle method. No Internet, no advice to go off beyond the LFS and that was what they all told you to do. Damsels are tough and will likely survive. Sitting through the cycle certainly does them no good, but it should accomplish the end goal. The bummer is gonna be catching the little bugger when you want it out.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:44 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yeah i messed up but since i has no QT and didnt feel like bringing back whole CUC to lfs i took the easy way out i guess... Just hoping CUC survives so far none died... How long does a small demsel take to fully cycle a 77 gallon ?

Also hoping that he wont be super agressiv and that i can actually keep him in later on.. Only time will tell but lfs said yellow tail least agressiv demsel out there
Old 11-16-2012, 11:08 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to h8z2luze Send a message via MSN to h8z2luze Send a message via Yahoo to h8z2luze
My roomate has a yellow tail in his tank and it's fine.

Tags
ammonia, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com