New Tank and Filtration Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

darrinf15e

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 110 Gal tank i am looking to set up a SW tank. I have 2 power heads (350 and 500 GPH), 2 canister filters (Rena XP3 350GPH each), a UV sterilizer (9 watt helical) and a pritien skimmer.

I am hoping to get water into the tank and cycle it in the next week. But I am eing held up by trying to figure out the best media for the canister filters. I chose them over a wet/dry sump system since I have a toddler around. But the local "experts" here in Vegas are giving me different solutions as to what type of media to use int he filters.

The tank will be fish only. I also have new fan cooled programmable lighting (256W UCF, w/ 2 true sunlight, 2 blue acitnic and 4 blue LEDs). I will have live sand and live rock in the tank as well. About 3-4 inches of sand (~150 lbs) and 100 lbs of live rock.

Any solutions or recommendations? Thanks...

I run purigen and phosban in my tanks. Purigen polishes the water and absorbs ammonia, nitrites nitrates, does not leach stuff back into your tank, unlike GAC. GAC is great at removing meds and polishing water but has a life span of 1-2 weeks., Purigen is also a great phosphate remover. I also have LR rubble in my filter.

roka64 said:
Purigen polishes the water and absorbs ammonia, nitrites nitrates, does not leach stuff back into your tank, unlike GAC.

I had thought that Purigen removed the Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates as well, but if you read the packaging, it states that it "Controls ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate, by removing nitrogenous organic waste materials." I still love the stuff though, the thing I like most about it however is the fact that it is rechargeable, and I don't have to risk getting red slime algae from phosphate leaks like I do from from GAC.

I too run purigen in my cannister along with rowaphos to reduce the phosphates.

Back
Top Bottom