Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-18-2007, 02:11 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

New Tank and Filtration Question

I have a 110 Gal tank i am looking to set up a SW tank. I have 2 power heads (350 and 500 GPH), 2 canister filters (Rena XP3 350GPH each), a UV sterilizer (9 watt helical) and a pritien skimmer.

I am hoping to get water into the tank and cycle it in the next week. But I am eing held up by trying to figure out the best media for the canister filters. I chose them over a wet/dry sump system since I have a toddler around. But the local "experts" here in Vegas are giving me different solutions as to what type of media to use int he filters.

The tank will be fish only. I also have new fan cooled programmable lighting (256W UCF, w/ 2 true sunlight, 2 blue acitnic and 4 blue LEDs). I will have live sand and live rock in the tank as well. About 3-4 inches of sand (~150 lbs) and 100 lbs of live rock.

Any solutions or recommendations? Thanks...

Old 07-18-2007, 09:51 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I run purigen and phosban in my tanks. Purigen polishes the water and absorbs ammonia, nitrites nitrates, does not leach stuff back into your tank, unlike GAC. GAC is great at removing meds and polishing water but has a life span of 1-2 weeks., Purigen is also a great phosphate remover. I also have LR rubble in my filter.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:25 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Welcome to AA. Here is some info on your cycle when the time comes. I dont have a filter or canister so I cant help you on that. Skimmer and LR and a refugium is all I use.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...q=2&fldAuto=15

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by roka64
Purigen polishes the water and absorbs ammonia, nitrites nitrates, does not leach stuff back into your tank, unlike GAC.
I had thought that Purigen removed the Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates as well, but if you read the packaging, it states that it "Controls ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate, by removing nitrogenous organic waste materials." I still love the stuff though, the thing I like most about it however is the fact that it is rechargeable, and I don't have to risk getting red slime algae from phosphate leaks like I do from from GAC.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:03 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I too run purigen in my cannister along with rowaphos to reduce the phosphates.

Tags
filtration, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com