Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-18-2007, 01:11 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
New Tank and Filtration Question

I have a 110 Gal tank i am looking to set up a SW tank. I have 2 power heads (350 and 500 GPH), 2 canister filters (Rena XP3 350GPH each), a UV sterilizer (9 watt helical) and a pritien skimmer.

I am hoping to get water into the tank and cycle it in the next week. But I am eing held up by trying to figure out the best media for the canister filters. I chose them over a wet/dry sump system since I have a toddler around. But the local "experts" here in Vegas are giving me different solutions as to what type of media to use int he filters.

The tank will be fish only. I also have new fan cooled programmable lighting (256W UCF, w/ 2 true sunlight, 2 blue acitnic and 4 blue LEDs). I will have live sand and live rock in the tank as well. About 3-4 inches of sand (~150 lbs) and 100 lbs of live rock.

Any solutions or recommendations? Thanks...

darrinf15e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 08:51 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I run purigen and phosban in my tanks. Purigen polishes the water and absorbs ammonia, nitrites nitrates, does not leach stuff back into your tank, unlike GAC. GAC is great at removing meds and polishing water but has a life span of 1-2 weeks., Purigen is also a great phosphate remover. I also have LR rubble in my filter.

Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:25 PM   #3
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Welcome to AA. Here is some info on your cycle when the time comes. I dont have a filter or canister so I cant help you on that. Skimmer and LR and a refugium is all I use.

melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 07:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
Originally Posted by roka64
Purigen polishes the water and absorbs ammonia, nitrites nitrates, does not leach stuff back into your tank, unlike GAC.
I had thought that Purigen removed the Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates as well, but if you read the packaging, it states that it "Controls ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate, by removing nitrogenous organic waste materials." I still love the stuff though, the thing I like most about it however is the fact that it is rechargeable, and I don't have to risk getting red slime algae from phosphate leaks like I do from from GAC.
pinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 01:03 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I too run purigen in my cannister along with rowaphos to reduce the phosphates.
chase33 is offline   Reply With Quote

filtration, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com