Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-14-2010, 02:27 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdhalim View Post
can i know why did u do water change..?? are already finish cycle the water or else..?? sorry for asking....

thanx in advance....
No im just running FW through the system to clean it a little and so i can get a stockman standpipe installed into the overflow, hence the water change to get some of the dirt out of the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
a ball valve on the drain is not going to help with noise. i would leave that wide open. get a piece of airline tubing and put it partially down the drain and move it up and down until you find that it's as quiet as you need it. then just tape it off somewhere so it doesn't fall alll the way in.

i'm surprised that a 120gph pump will push water that high and still be strong enough to notice it. are you sure about that? btw, if this is in fact a 120gph pump, which i doubt highly, your HOB overflow is in danger of losing siphon. the smallest HOB overflow i know of is 300 gph. you should be pushing it to it's limit in order for it to function properly. i'm assuming this is a HOb, because in pic 1 i see a J tube. but looking at the overflow with the bio balls in it, i'm confused.
Its an internal overflow and it has a 1.5" hole in the bottom of the tank that drains into the sump, the guy who i bought it from put the bio balls into the overflow to stop the sound of water rusning through the system, really it didnt work IMO so im making a stockman standpipe to fit in there instead.

If that makes sense...

edit: pump is a rio 1100 so rated at 300gph

Old 12-14-2010, 06:27 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ended up following this diagram

and now if it wasnt for the skimmer being loud, you wouldnt hear the tank at all

Old 12-14-2010, 06:32 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
good work. thanks for the diagram!
Old 12-14-2010, 08:26 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

now I used about a 1/8" hole in the top so its very small im sure you use a bigger hole if you wanted, I found that it worked without a hole as well but everyone said you need a hole so I made one...
Old 12-17-2010, 09:08 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

So I have the tank filled, salt mixed and all the pumps, heaters etc going.

little bit of sand in the tank right now and bio balls in the sump for now, im trying to hunt down some decent rock for the tank so I can start loading the tank up

ordered some Blue/Green Chromis from a local store and they should be in on monday so I start them in QT.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:12 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

picking up some rock tonight from a local reefer but with the bioballs right now the levels for the tank

Ammonia--1
Nitrite--0.25
Nitrate--0
PH--8.2

was trying to get some base rock into the system before the new year but its not looking like that will happen anymore...
Old 12-23-2010, 03:02 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

lets the tank cycle....dont add any of living creatures as u know it will only harm them....
Old 12-23-2010, 03:18 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

well of course but I should get more rock into the system before then anyways because as of right now I only have bioballs in the sump and maybe 1/4" of sand..
Old 01-05-2011, 10:21 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

some updates, I added 20lbs of live sand and 30lbs of rock to the display tank

theres about 10lbs of rubble in the sump right now along with the bio balls and here is the pictures.

got 2 true percs in there
Old 01-05-2011, 10:23 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
save these pics, because you are going to look back and laugh! not making fun, but your final project will look like something completely different!

Tags
build, tan, tank build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com