New Tank Build 35Gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thats the plan inexpensive coral to cover the rocks, zoas will probably be taken out of that tank, same with the SPS

you could get some eagle eyes and radioactive dragon eyes. they look nice, are dirt cheap, and grow pretty well. if they get eaten, it's no big deal.

Dragon eyes are so rare in Canada its not even funny, the bright colour zoas are all hard to find actually most of the ones you get come into LFS as 1 or maybe 2 poplys then local reefers grow them out to sell....sometimes.

we have one new store in town thats starting to bring in "ultra" colour zoas and acans so watch for them.

but then someone lost some expensive coral and took it out on the fish with time out in the sump? lol

im hoping the xenia takes off, I had some unmounted stuff from a local and its been an experiance trying to mount it...I glued it, toothpicked it, did the mesh trick, left it lose and out of probably 20 clippings of it I have 1 left...one that I glued..

oh im well aware of fast it spreads and how hard it can be to contain but im not worried about it the wife loves the look of it and how it flows so thats my plan cover the tank in it.

It's something you gotta experience for your self. I used to sell maybe 3 frags every week or two. That cutting in addition to the extreme growth and density made my tank crash. Lost everything in it but the fish. Coral and mostly all inverts died.

Situate it high on the rocks so it doesn't reach to the light and overtake everything in its path trying to reach up to the light.

Best of luck!

ive been reading a lot that when you have a xenia crash its due to low iodine, I guess the xenia just sucks it out something horrible.

also reading that iodine is very hard to test for which makes dosing even harder...

that would explain the inverts dying as well though wouldnt it?

No. My xenia just turned colors one day. Got very dark colored inside. Inverts died later. I belive it was the secretion of heavy mucus (sp?) from the density and the fragging.

No one ever knows why it dies IMO. It's a mystery coral. :)

I would never dose iodine. Just keep up on the water changes.

Dragon eyes are so rare in Canada its not even funny, the bright colour zoas are all hard to find actually most of the ones you get come into LFS as 1 or maybe 2 poplys then local reefers grow them out to sell....sometimes.

we have one new store in town thats starting to bring in "ultra" colour zoas and acans so watch for them.
eagle eyes and radioactive dragon eyes are from indonesia and are about 20 dollars for a softball covered rock for your LFS. they should be able to sell them fairly cheaply.
if not, wait till next summer, and i'll send you a couple giant rocks at cost.

eagle eyes and radioactive dragon eyes are from indonesia and are about 20 dollars for a softball covered rock for your LFS. they should be able to sell them fairly cheaply.
if not, wait till next summer, and i'll send you a couple giant rocks at cost.

Problem is tho you cant ship them to me in Canada unless I get a license to bring them in....

One of our local stores sells zoas for 10$ for 10 polpys thats the cheapest I have seen but the colours are always blah, I noticed a local reefer who has collected zoas over the years and hes got some really nice colours but a frag of them (maybe 20 poplys) is close to 50$ a frag..

just harder to find bright colour softies up here since everyone likes to focus on SPS corals

the good news is, they can be shipped simply wrapped in wet newspaper and not overnight. i think i may be able to get you a few pieces this way, correct?

Tank Shots
(from cell phone)
calgary2011031900023.jpg

calgary2011031900024.jpg

Tank is 3 months old now and finally got some Xenia to grow along with button polyps, finger leather, devils hand and GSP in the tank

If you're really worried about the xenia you can isolate it on one rock so it will only grow there.

That's what I've done, though I have seen it just grow random places before

not worried about it really I had some clippings from a local reefer probably 20 stocks or so, and I tried to mount them all different kinds of ways but that is the only one that made it and it was looking grim for a while.

But it has started to grow nicely and hopefully it will take off soon.

Back
Top Bottom