New Tank Build 35Gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Magma

Aquarium Advice Freak
So how about some details on it

Tank is 32" x 13" x 20" with center overflow(single 1 1/2" drain), glass top
20 gal baffled sump
Aqua C urchin skimmer
36" Current USA double T5 HO light
Nano Koralia

So im gonna be setting this up in my house tommorow no rock or sand yet but thats ok easy enough to get.

How about some stocking list help though?

other thank has 2 black clowns, royal gramma

so this tank I was thinking:
Green Chromis
Firefish
Cardinal

Any other ideas, suggestions?

Fowlr or want some reef action?

Fish wise i like those. I think a brain as a center piece would look awesome, or a clam.

tank is setup and running, the overflow is loud as all **** :( but I have a ball valve on the bottom of it i can adjust so maybe lose some of the nose on it not sure yet, either way its running FW in it right now because I need to clean it out a bit.

Sump has a 120gph return on it so its pumping out nicely, also found how much to fill the sump with in case of power failure :D

Pictures to come!

Tank with the lights on
img2010121200001.jpg

sump setup

img2010121200002.jpg

Ball Valve

img2010121200003.jpg

overflow filled with bioballs (why I dunno the guy before me had them in there said it made it less loud)

img2010121200005.jpg

Still cant figure out how to make the overflow not sound like a running toliet with the gargle and trickle..

so took out the bioballs from the overflow chamber, and im working on building a stockman pipe to fit inside of this, the only problem im having is that i cant find the proper parts here and fish stores want to charge me way more than what i could pick them up at the hardware store for.

Also managed to get the water a little cleaner today after removing 20gal of water and letting the tank sit without the pumps on. The bioballs i threw into the sump for now i will be getting some rubble for the sump but right now bioballs will work for the cycle at least.

Liverock should arrive end of the week or early monday from a local reefer :D

can i know why did u do water change..?? are already finish cycle the water or else..?? sorry for asking....

thanx in advance....

a ball valve on the drain is not going to help with noise. i would leave that wide open. get a piece of airline tubing and put it partially down the drain and move it up and down until you find that it's as quiet as you need it. then just tape it off somewhere so it doesn't fall alll the way in.

i'm surprised that a 120gph pump will push water that high and still be strong enough to notice it. are you sure about that? btw, if this is in fact a 120gph pump, which i doubt highly, your HOB overflow is in danger of losing siphon. the smallest HOB overflow i know of is 300 gph. you should be pushing it to it's limit in order for it to function properly. i'm assuming this is a HOb, because in pic 1 i see a J tube. but looking at the overflow with the bio balls in it, i'm confused.

can i know why did u do water change..?? are already finish cycle the water or else..?? sorry for asking....

thanx in advance....

No im just running FW through the system to clean it a little and so i can get a stockman standpipe installed into the overflow, hence the water change to get some of the dirt out of the water.

a ball valve on the drain is not going to help with noise. i would leave that wide open. get a piece of airline tubing and put it partially down the drain and move it up and down until you find that it's as quiet as you need it. then just tape it off somewhere so it doesn't fall alll the way in.

i'm surprised that a 120gph pump will push water that high and still be strong enough to notice it. are you sure about that? btw, if this is in fact a 120gph pump, which i doubt highly, your HOB overflow is in danger of losing siphon. the smallest HOB overflow i know of is 300 gph. you should be pushing it to it's limit in order for it to function properly. i'm assuming this is a HOb, because in pic 1 i see a J tube. but looking at the overflow with the bio balls in it, i'm confused.

Its an internal overflow and it has a 1.5" hole in the bottom of the tank that drains into the sump, the guy who i bought it from put the bio balls into the overflow to stop the sound of water rusning through the system, really it didnt work IMO so im making a stockman standpipe to fit in there instead.

If that makes sense...

edit: pump is a rio 1100 so rated at 300gph

Ended up following this diagram

img_1185487_0_08bdd6f53902576e8d30b905c1d8fd2e.jpg

and now if it wasnt for the skimmer being loud, you wouldnt hear the tank at all :D

now I used about a 1/8" hole in the top so its very small im sure you use a bigger hole if you wanted, I found that it worked without a hole as well but everyone said you need a hole so I made one...

So I have the tank filled, salt mixed and all the pumps, heaters etc going.

little bit of sand in the tank right now and bio balls in the sump for now, im trying to hunt down some decent rock for the tank so I can start loading the tank up :D

ordered some Blue/Green Chromis from a local store and they should be in on monday so I start them in QT.

picking up some rock tonight from a local reefer but with the bioballs right now the levels for the tank

Ammonia--1
Nitrite--0.25
Nitrate--0
PH--8.2

was trying to get some base rock into the system before the new year but its not looking like that will happen anymore...

well of course but I should get more rock into the system before then anyways ;) because as of right now I only have bioballs in the sump and maybe 1/4" of sand..

some updates, I added 20lbs of live sand and 30lbs of rock to the display tank

theres about 10lbs of rubble in the sump right now along with the bio balls and here is the pictures.

img7267t.jpg

img7270k.jpg

got 2 true percs in there

save these pics, because you are going to look back and laugh! not making fun, but your final project will look like something completely different!

Back
Top Bottom