New tank can't decide on size???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No. If the power goes out, the return will back siphon until it sucks air....This means waking up to an empty tank. I wouldn't want to trust a check valve in a salt water application either. They do sell the ones that you can open and clean easily, without breaking down the plumbing, but how would you? While you were cleaning it, the tank would empty.

You could always add a ball valve to close so you can clean the check valve.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393385734.536631.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393385783.085581.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393385832.955143.jpg

got the tank up onto the stand. Cut out the wall to allow the overflow box to slide into the storage room( where the sump will be).

Plumbing starts tomorrow!

Is there any support under that overflow box? There will be a non-trivial load on the bottom glass panel when it is running..

Is there any support under that overflow box? There will be a non-trivial load on the bottom glass panel when it is running..

Have you ever done a custom tank before? Or made a stand? Or have any idea about structural integrity of different materials?(ie structural engineering background )

No yes and yes.

If that over holds say 5 gallons of water, thats 40lbs supported by the silicone seams and the bottom panel. Granted the center of mass is well supported overall, but you create a line of stress where the stand stops supporting the tank. Under a static load condition, it should be o.k. but as engineer, i prefer to err on the side of caution.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with dmolavi I would support that overflow. It would be cheap and easy and give you piece of mind. Just my $.02 though

No yes and yes.

If that over holds say 5 gallons of water, thats 40lbs supported by the silicone seams and the bottom panel. Granted the center of mass is well supported overall, but you create a line of stress where the stand stops supporting the tank. Under a static load condition, it should be o.k. but as engineer, i prefer to err on the side of caution.

Didn't mean to offend, just trying to get an idea of where the advice is coming from.

I had a structural engineer do a site visit for my bigger tank which weighed over 10,000lbs , the cost was worth the piece of mind. The stand for that tank was only built with 2x6 spruce as per his recommendations.

This tank is also built with structural adhesive, the same stuff used by seaworld, pretty strong stuff.

I will support the overflow with a vertical 2x4 brace .

Trying to decide what kind of overflow pipe to do... Herbie method or durso ?

Any thoughts?

My pump will put out about 4500 gph

My 2pence

No yes and yes.

Standard silicone at 24' typically breaks at 10 kn/m2, that's about 208 lbs/ft2.
High strengths are available. It's a compressive load so the glass thickness should be taken into account (tensile strength)
(That's why the bottom doesn't crack in my tank)
If you apply that force of 40lbs over the area concerned the results are quite minimal. Off axis loading will be more apparent in this situation so shear strength will be the governing factor. The stress line will in some part be absorbed by the elasticity of the silicone.
(That's why the sides don't burst out in my tank!)

(My tank)
750 litres 198 us liquid that's 1650lbs roughly +substrate and rocks @550lbs.
Crack free, burst free, fish keeping happiness.

Gee I hope that's right!

Standard silicone at 24' typically breaks at 10 kn/m2, that's about 208 lbs/ft2.

High strengths are available. It's a compressive load so the glass thickness should be taken into account (tensile strength)

(That's why the bottom doesn't crack in my tank)

If you apply that force of 40lbs over the area concerned the results are quite minimal. Off axis loading will be more apparent in this situation so shear strength will be the governing factor. The stress line will in some part be absorbed by the elasticity of the silicone.

(That's why the sides don't burst out in my tank!)

(My tank)

750 litres 198 us liquid that's 1650lbs roughly +substrate and rocks @550lbs.

Crack free, burst free, fish keeping happiness.

Gee I hope that's right!

I use Dow Corning 995 structural silicone adhesive... It's strong stuff.

Same stuff I used on my 800 gallon tank

I use Dow Corning 995 structural silicone adhesive... It's strong stuff.

Same stuff I used on my 800 gallon tank

Right, so the main concern should be can the glass take it? I would think yes. If you consider what loads are applied to a standard 6mm base panel. I would think 40lb of water is a rest break!

I was a glazier for ten years, silicone is unbelievable! 800g! That's for me that is! Maybe next week huh.

Tank is almost full of rodi water now, aqua scape finished, seeded the aragonite with sand from my established tank.

Will be putting in 50-100lbs of live rock from my other tanks sump into this one so I don't have to cycle it .

Added 100lbs of live rock(from my other tanks' sump) to my sump.

Salinity is good 1.026, temp 78-79.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394837788.447157.jpg

Can't decide if one light is enough.

Hard to tell with iPhone cam, comes out really blue ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394837893.347221.jpg

Back
Top Bottom