New tank can't decide on size???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is how mine works. Not done with painting and replacing a piece if trim yet, but giving you ideas. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392675142.451209.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392675161.990509.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392675196.309672.jpg

I'll wait for mr.x to add 2 cents on the stand. Think he just made one for his new tank.

I made the stand for my 800 gallon, wasn't too difficult

Now on to plumbing.

Not sure the best way to bring the return line into the tank. It is a rimless tank so I thought about drilling the bottom of the tank for a 1.5" pipe then reducing it to two 3/4" lines with locline basically pointing opposite directions (like an "S") .

Any ideas?

Can you drill it to go straight through the wall and then down from there? That way you have nothing under the tank/stand. It would have a very clean look that way. And if you painted the back of the tank, you wouldn't see any plumbing at all.

Was able to find some 3/4" bulkheads .

how many return holes should I bring through the bottom?

was thinking 2 holes drilled along the centreline length wise about 18" apart then wye's to 4lengths of locline

Any ideas?

Why are you drilling returns through the bottom? For the closed loop? Are you sure the bottom isn't tempered? They usually are.

Why are you drilling returns through the bottom? For the closed loop? Are you sure the bottom isn't tempered? They usually are.

The tank was a custom build and I spoke with the guy that made it, so I made sure the bottom isn't tempered.

The glass is half inch thick.

Drilling through the bottom seemed like the best way to hide the return because I'll build my aqua scape to cover most of the locline so just the outlet nozzle is visible.

Also, on the back of the tank, there's only 4" of space between the overflow box and the edge of the tank on either side , so not much room to drill there.

What do you think? Going through the bottom not a great idea?

No. If the power goes out, the return will back siphon until it sucks air....This means waking up to an empty tank. I wouldn't want to trust a check valve in a salt water application either. They do sell the ones that you can open and clean easily, without breaking down the plumbing, but how would you? While you were cleaning it, the tank would empty.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392997133.264144.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392997355.697770.jpg

Where do you think I should bring in the return?

Do you think one overflow pipe going to the sump would be enough, if so I could bring the return through the other one,

Any ideas?

I would do it in one of the 4" side areas. One 3/4" or 1" return. About 4" down from the top and you can use locline and bend it upwards then aim it down, so it's higher than 4".

Back
Top Bottom