New tank cloudy...and a first water test...HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rsigler

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey Everyone,

I just set up my new 28gal saltwater tank. No LR yet.

After 5 days of running, I brought a water sample to my LFS, and they suggested starting the cycle with 3 Yellow Tail Damsels. After much reading, I now know this was the wrong thing to do.

So, now I have the fish, and they seem to be doing well, however, my water is somewhat cloudy/hazy. Here is a picture of the tank.

tank.jpg

I just performed my first water test. What do you think? I'm guessing the PH is 8, guessing the ammonia is .25, Nitrite is 0, and Nitrate is (again guessing) 5.

test.jpg

I did not rinse my sand (which I now know was also not good)

Any advice on clearing up the water? And keeping the fish happy and healthy?

I know, I know. I'm new at this. Cut me a break. :)

Marineland Penguin 200 (rated for 50 gallons)

Yes. I was told a tank this size doesn't need a power head. Is that true?

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic, well, maybe a little. But really, what is that substrate? It looks like it's made more for a FW set up. Not criticizing your, ahem, color, but really, what size are the granules? You may experience high nitrates down the road because of it trapping detritus.

Well I think you should spend some time on YouTube doing some research. Just search how to start a saltwater aquarium. There is one by BRS (Bulk Reef Supply) it is a how to. Also for just about any question you will have there is a guy called NewYorkSteelo that has tons of videos on his channel. And when you start spending money look for what you need on Craigslist.

Adding some LR will aid greatly in filtration. The damsels should be ok if you keep the ammonia and nitrite levels down with water changes. This will however prolong the cycle.

Back
Top Bottom