New Tank Compatibility with Future Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spongeynip

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I got all my tank specs fixed up, and now i'm ready to plan on which fish are goin in my aquarium. I have a 30 gal tank which I will later place in anemones and corals. For now, I want to know if my fish and invert selection is a smart choice. Also, if I could get more fish, or downsize my list.

Fish:
2 Ocellaris Clowns
1 Longnose Hawkfish
1 Spotted Mandrin
1 Royal Gramma Basselet
2 Firefish

Crawler Inverts:
1 Emarald Crab
1 Coral Banded Shrimp
2 Scarlet Skunk (Cleaner) Shrimp
1 Peppermint Shrimp
1 Turbo Snail

Inverts:
1 Saddle Anemone
Various Corals to be determined

Now remember I dont have to get every one of these, just tell me how many should go, or which ones are not compatable with anything else.
Thanx
-Trent

A couple of problems. The Longnose Hawkfish may end up eating your crabs and shrimp once it gets bigger. If you want inverts, I would leave that one out.
Also, a 30 gallon is too small for a mandrin IMO and the firefish can be territorial. You may have a problem with 2, but then again you may not. Coin flip there.
Other than that, sounds nice. :)

thanx

alright thanx, ill do that. And dont worry bout the firefish, my LFS only sells them in mated pairs (i dont no why though).

thanx
-Trent

I must agree with qshark (our newest advisor :lol: :lol: :lol: ). Skip the hawkfih or your inverts may become lunch. I would not do a mandarin either. They have a highly specific diet of various live pods that dwell in LR and LS. The amount of LR you can get in a 30 gal would not be near enugh to support a pod population large enough to sustain a mandarin. Otherwise, the list looks good. I love my royal gramma. If you only get one firefish and skip the hawk and mandarin, you might even be able to sqeeze in a dwarf angel instead. (although not 100% reef safe)

I have a 30 with 2 ocellaris and 1 royal gramma. Lots of turbos, a couple emerald crabs, a shrimp, and a brittle star. Everyone is happy and has room to frolic. Have you considered a smaller goby perhaps?

Make sure if you get a dwarf that it is juvenile, most dwarf angels still get pretty big compared to your gobies and clowns. 4-5" compared to a max of around 3.5" for everything else you have listed.

Actually, I dont know if its a juvenile, it might be an adult... Would you know an online store that would sell some? If it does turn out to be a juvenile, I'll let ya know.

thanx
-Trent

Back
Top Bottom