Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-22-2003, 10:45 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
I think the bio-balls are good to keep if you dont have a skimmer or corals. The main problem is that some of the things the bio-balls take out, are really good for coral growth, but not really needed for fish. So unitl you get some major corals or a skimmer I would say they are fine, You just need to maintain them...

If you don't love what you do, you'd better find something else to love. Otherwise, you don't have a reason for living.
-Ray B.
d9hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 11:47 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
Originally Posted by aldykes
Should I get rid of the bio balls now or wait until everythings settled down?

IMO......... If you can get the skimmer now I would remove the bio balls now while your cycling. That way the beneficial bacteria will form on your LR and LS and not on your bio balls, that will be removed later, possibly causing the tank to experience an ammonia spike.

cal91666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 12:52 AM   #13
AA Team Emeritus
Curious about the ammonia....do you use Amquel? And what type/brand of test kit are you using? Have you verified the test kit with another, perhaps from the LFS?

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 05:03 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
You're gonna need more light. At the very least another 2 bulb strip (80 more watts). You can keep fish only under what you have, but if you want coraline algae on the rock, you're going to need more. I could write a couple of pages here explaining the basic types of lighting, but I gotta go to work in a minute . I would suggest doing a search both on this site and on Google for lighting and reading up on MH (metal halide), VHO (very high output), and PC (power compact) lights. The reason for this is that many of the inverts we like to keep are photosynthetic and will die without very intense light. I also wouldn't get an anemone for a long time. They tend to die in new tanks and most of them also need bright lights. I hate to keep telling you you're going to have to get this and that, but it's cheaper to set it up right at first than to have to tear it down a couple of times and make changes. If you're handy at making things, you can build a lot of this stuff yourself. Check out the DIY forum on Oz Reef ( http://ozreef.org/diy/ ) for ideas and plans. Well...I'm out of time...gotta go serve my time in the sweatshop.
Logan J
PS: The blue light is an actinic bulb.

loganj is offline   Reply With Quote

cycling, tan, tank cycling

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com