New tank cycling: Use the protein skimmer or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

runway1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm starting a new rank with uncured LR. Should I hook up the skimmer at this time? I've heard that it's best to wait a few weeks prior to using the skimmer.

Same question for the UV. Should I turn it on immediately or wait a set period of time?

Thanks all!

From my own experience....skimming during the first week may only remove trace amounts of salt since the bacteria and overall junk buildup has not begun. Same goes for the UV. It won't hurt to run either at this point by it may not help either.

No reason to run either the first month or longer. Let the tank cycle in its own time. Easy for me say two years later, but I remember being on the verge of buying bathtub play fish to put in the tank.

Leave the skimmer off untill the tank is cycled. My tank cycled in 3 weeks with lr.

It wouldint hurt to run the skimmer but I think it would mess up the bacteria if you used the UV sterilizer. UV kills a lot of the bacteria you will need to cycle the tank.

runway1 said:
I'm starting a new rank with uncured LR.
In general the cycle can do without a skimmer most times but I would "play it by ear" so to speak. If you where using LFS rock, it would most likely not be needed. With uncured rock, you'll usually get a decent amount of die off unless it's increadibley fresh and shipped quickly.

Personally with uncured I would use the skimmer but at least be preapared with water changes if you opt for cycling without the skimmer. Not much point in paying for life encrusted rock only to lose the critters because of uncontrolable die off, excessive DOC and high ammonia.

Cheers
Steve

That's a good point Steve. I know Bob Fenner touched on that as well in his book. He suggests to leave the skimmer on during the cycle period. Most people here opt to leave it off. I wonder if we can ever get 2 people to do a test to see which method is better. Maybe I can when I get my new tank with uncured lr. Just a thought.

Mike

Unfortunately there are so many variables that getting 2 people to run a skimmer on vs. skimmer off test would be nearly impossible...but I would love to see the outcome....while they are at we should get them to run tests on everyother thing we debate over....then we would have the positive answers on everything....which would only leaves us to post pictures of our beautiful aquariums. -sigh- in a perfect world

I am cycling now...and I have a Bak Pak 2 Skimmer.

I had it on for the first few days only...for a few reasons:

1. Make sure it was working
2. Increase Water Flow
3. See how much stuff it was getting out

On day 4....I had half the cup filled with skimmate in about 10 hours. Now I know it works! I now know Cycling Shrimp is now doing it's thing. So now I just removed the skimmer cup...and I still have my water flow. I have the outlet sponge in the skimmer..which will culture with bacteria and help the cycle too

I have now just pulled out the cup...so no skimming is actually happening...so the cycle should happen a little faster now.

WC

Maybe there is a happy medium here. Some say leave it on, some say leave it off. How about just running it for 3-4 hours a day on a timer or something? Just a thought.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom