New tank ... first water fill?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jermz79

Aquarium Advice Addict
This weekend I ordered all of my supplies to setup my saltwater tank! It will be about another month before I actually do setup. I have some major research to do, as well as many questions to ask!

(Bear with me this morning as I have been battling a head cold all weekend)!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

O.K. here's the question .... when I get ready what is the best water to use for the intial setup? I don't have an RO/DI system, but my LFS does and they premix (although it is rather pricey)! So would I be better off using some type of water from the Grocery store and doing the mix myself or going with the LFS water! I defintely know Tap water is not a good idea ... or maybe I'm wrong!

I hope all this makes sense, I'm all looped on cold medicine this morning! :lol: :lol: :lol:

TIA!!!

For a 30gal tank I would just get some RO/DI water from the LFS and mix up the salf and water in a 5gal bucket before dumping it in the tank. In a brand new tank it will not need to be "aged" as it will when doing water changes. Put a couple of powerheads in the tank to circulate and mix the water. Go with the package directions for mixing the first time, you can adjust the SG later if desired. You should expect your water to be cloudy for a couple of days.

A lot of people actually do START their tank off, cycling with tap water since it will go through so many changes. I did this with my new tank (suggested by a ver reputable, very knowledgable lfs) and I wish I hadn't. All my live rock and hitchhikers seem to be doing fine but I've got phosphate numbers through the roof which is causing green water and algae - go with the RO water to start with if you can.

- Skins

I think, I may be wrong, but the LFS doesn't sell just the RO water, it's already premixed and aged ... . I remeber them telling me something to the tune of $10/gallon for this water ... doesn't that seem kinda pricey? They also said most people use this water for water changes when they don't have their own RO/DI systems and mixing capabilities! If I think about it though if they have the system there then they should be able to sell me just the water right?

What if I was to go to one of those water machines they have at all the grocery stores in town, and fill up 6 - 5 gallon jugs? Is that water sufficient?

When I re-read through all of this it makes absolutely no sense to me!!!! I hope I'm not confusing you guys! :wink: :lol:

OMG $10 a gallon for pre-mixed SW? That's a rip-off. Most times people post pre-mix prices, it's like $1 a gallon.
My LFS charges 20cents a gallon of RO/DI water. Most grocery stores are about the same. I'd test the water though, as they are notorious for running old filters so you may not have as pure a water as you'd like.

It's way cheaper to get your own salt and RO water and mix/age it yourself.

See I thought something sounds wrong with that! maybe it is $10/10gallons ... I think that is more like it ... I don't know when I was there this weekend I had just got hit with a cold and was pretty down.

I'll have to check back and see what they say, but point is DON'T use tap water or trust the water from them machines right?

Buy a RO/DI unit off of ebay... It will pay for itself in no time.
that would be what $30 to fill the tank up... Then your going to need top off water so there is another 5 gallons of fresh ro/di.. And then monthly water changes of 5-10 gallons. It all adds up... You can pick up a good ro/di on ebay for around $100..

Back
Top Bottom