Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-03-2004, 12:37 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
new tank from scratch

I will soon be starting a new fish-only from the ground up. All new equipment, etc. I'm wanting some ideas on biological filtration. I've used wet/dry filters & fluidized bed (sand) filters in the past, with better luck on the sand filters. Yeah, I know, lots of people hate them and I've heard the arguments. I've had a string of bad luck with my current tank, including some abnormal ammonia spikes that won't go away, but that's another story. I'm a believer in sticking with what has worked in the past, but I'm willing to change at this point.

I'm looking for opinions on different types of bilogical systems. 75+ pounds of live rock unfortunately is out of the budget (I leave that to my reef tank).

bre's dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 07:49 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
Try a emperor bio-wheel they are cheap and work good.

10 gallon salt water 3 damsels
20 saltwater mini reek yellow tang green mandrin goby, clownfish, yellowtail damsel, coral banded shrimp, skunk cleaner shrimp, lots of corals and fiji rock
75 gallon cycling soon to be reef tank
flatzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 07:57 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
How big of a system, what kind of fish and what kind of equipment is on there now?
Bearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 01:11 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 90G running a couple of Fluval canisters. These are really easy to clean, and they do a pretty good job at it.
As far as ammonia spikes, are you using RO, RO/DI, or tap water?
If you can specify the equipment you currently have, many of us here can offer suggestions, and opinions on what you will need. If it is just a FO tank and don't want to buy liverock, you can use base rock. Make sure you get a good skimmer though. Lots of options here.

Salttanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 12:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via Yahoo to ddcboys
I know that You do not want to buy Live rock but IMO I would get a small piece to help with the ammonia spikes and cycle the media until everything levels out then either A)keep it or B) get rid of it back to the store a friend. Everyone else has good Ideas too.
ddcboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 05:47 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Since you have a reef tank, I would take 1 or 2 pcs of lr from reef and replace it w/ base rock. put the lr in new tank with some base rock. and wait a few months for ot to spread.
A lot of ripples make a wave
darb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 11:06 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
IMO, the Emperor 280 or 400 are a great bang for your buck. I had one on my 40 gall reef and it worked really well.

lando is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com