New tank - Have a few questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Juster

Aquarium Advice Regular
So after 8 months of planning and reading I finally got a 72 gal bowfront aquarium and a 4x65 Coralife lighting system.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I am in the process of setting it up right now. I have a couple of questions for you all.

1) Painting a tank - I plan on painting the back blue like at my lfs. I expect there is nothing special I need to worry about? I can get a can a spray paint from the hardware store and paint away.

2) Plumbing - I have a built in overflow and have my bulkheads already. I need a drain pipe which I will make out of a piece of PVC with a 90 elbow on top and an air hole to keep it quiet. From the drain I plan on going straight down into my sump. My return pump will sit in the sump and the return line will go straight up from there and back into the tank. I will have an isolation valve on the pump in case iI ever need to replace it.

3) Sump - Planning on using a 20 gal aquarium with baffles or bubble traps on both ends made of acrylic. Sump will eventually be a fuge. This will house my heaters and aqua urchin skimmer

Am I missing anything or do I need to rethink something. Once the tank is plumbed I will add my sand and SW. I have an RO/DI unit on order. Live rock will follow after that. Then the shrimp for cycling. And the the finally the fish.

Any advice on the setup would be great.

Juster

I think the spray paint will work fine. Sorry I don't know anything at all about overflows but I'm sure someone will be along to help ya. As for the order you are considering, sounds good to me. Good luck. :D

It sounds like you have everything figured out real well, I never painted the back of a tank, i went with black on the back of my 29g but just went with a piece of the tank backing or whatever they call that stuff in the fish store in a solid black, can't tell if it is painted or not. As for overflows, mine hangs on the side of my 55g so i can't help ya there either. Just make sure ya have enough room in your sump for everything you want to put in there, mine is a lil too small. I also use live rubble in it.

But overall sounds like you r ready to dive in, just rememer patience after ya start cycling the tank. Everyone here at my house was bugging me to get "stuff" to put in it. Oh the excitement when the first fish came home. For a bit of peace of mind, I did finally purchase a refractometer, ya might wanna consider one in the future.

Liz

Plumbing - I have a built in overflow and have my bulkheads already. I need a drain pipe which I will make out of a piece of PVC with a 90 elbow on top and an air hole to keep it quiet. From the drain I plan on going straight down into my sump. My return pump will sit in the sump and the return line will go straight up from there and back into the tank. I will have an isolation valve on the pump in case iI ever need to replace it.
Check with your LFS. Mine had kits ready made to set it up. Saved a lot of runs to HD. :wink:
Sounds like you will be ready to roll. You have the basics, the rest (rock, sand, skimmer, etc) you can add after the setup.
Got a heater, water test kits, hydrometer, etc?

Got a heater, water test kits, hydrometer, etc?

I got 2 heaters and the hydrometer. No need for test kits yet. Plann on buying in a week or so. What brand is best? Frmo what I have read I need to stay away from the paper type.

Also, do I just use standard pvc glue or do I have to get something special?

people say salifert and one other but memory fails... I guess seachem is a good brand too.

Standard PVC glue is fine. For threaded fittings you will want to add teflon tape to the threads.
I use Sechem, good test kits. Although they will add drive your crazy. :wink:

I have a piece of that mylar tank backing stuff on mine. It's blue on one side and black on the back.. Much easier than painting and if you don't like it you can replace it.

Back
Top Bottom