New tank. Help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reptiles_Reefs

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i just very recently got a salt water fish tank and i have no idea what i am doing!!!! the tank is very cool, it is two separate tanks put together by 2 tubes in the center so the fish can swim to each tank. each individual tanks measurements are the same, length is about 15 and a half inches, height is 24 inches, and width is 10 inches. this does not include the two medium sized tubes in the middle. the store that sold it to me are not very helpful AT ALL. my buddy gave me his old sump with a mag pump. no filter socks or skimmer. i have no idea how much salt to add or where the salinity should be at. it came with a bag of instant ocean salt, the purple bag. i have nothing live in there obviously.. no rock or algae. help is wanted! please and thank you. let me know if you need anymore details. i would like to make it a reef tank, not predators. i also have no light for the tank.

There should be a sticky on here with tons of getting started info.

Lights are the most expensive part for a reef tank, I will suggest 2 of the leds made by taotronics on ebay, one for each side.

Salinity is best at 1.020 to 1.025, closer to 1.024-1.025 for a reef.

You should limit yourself to mostly "nano" fish with only one 10" depth. I use liveaquaria website as a good research tool.

You should mix your saltwater in a separate container like a brute trash can. Don't use tap water, use ro or better ro/di water to prevent problems down the road.

Get your sand and rock in, let the tank cycle before adding any fish inverts or coral. Some liverock would be helpfull but dry rock is cheaper. Try bulk reef supply for nice dry rock and reefrocks is good for base rock (not as good looking imo) but they have cheap sand too. I have bought from both thise suppliers and I am very happy.

I want some pictures of the tank please. It sounds awsome.

Sounds like he has one of the "clear for life" designs with filtration built in the back... I have a 50 gallon rectangular one but the front to back depth kinda sucks because of the built in filtration, cool designs tho.

my advice it reaserch everything before you buy it as some tiny fish in your local fish shop will get big fast, get your self a good refractometer and I aim for 1.024 salt level. and regular water changes are a must! also I would start off with fish only and with hardy fish and work your way through to everything else.

I'd be a little concerned about " water flow" between the two tanks via the tubes,..(.unless you have powerheads on both sides of the two tanks),..saltwater requires a lot of flow especially if you're planning on a reef down the line,...also cleaning the tubes may be a pain once they get a growth of algae on them,.... Good luck on the build,..saltwater tanks are a trip !!!

Back
Top Bottom