Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-28-2016, 11:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to The_Desacrator
New tank, looking for tips

So my grandma is getting rid of her 36 g (freshwater) and I have the opportunity to get it. My mom wants me to set up a salt water for her so thats plan. Any tips for a beginner? It comes with eyou would expect: 2 marineland hob filters, heater,led lights, gravel(will be replaced with sand), and decorations.

Couple of questions off the top:

Do I have to use a canister filter? I have never seen a salt water tank with HOB filters and waned to know why

What is a sump, why is it necessary, and why should i get one?

An acquaintance of mine got this and made his life really easy in terms of setup and maintenance. I was thinking of getting one. Anyone have experience with something like this?

More will be posted as it comes to me.

The_Desacrator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
New tank, looking for tips

Actually hob is better for saltwater then a canister. Canisters are nitrate traps and need to be clean often ( like every week) Hob are much easier to clean. Also most of your filtration comes from your rock and sand in the tank.

Alright a sump is basically a tank or water holding device (bin, tub, bucket,) that's a giant filter! It's broken up into different sections by using a thing called baffles. Mine is currently broken into 3 with my drain and skimmer in the first part, then a fuge, then my return.

Basically a apex is something where you can control everything from one place. I don't use one in my 75, so can't really offer much help
Here's a couple of things to read to get a good understanding of everything

36 gallon fresh water

10g saltwater
cgthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:32 PM   #3
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
this will help you get a better understanding of a sump along with it's benefits
What is a sump? | Melev's Reef, Inc
Fish are like lifesavers
They come in different colors

54seaweed is offline   Reply With Quote

new tank, tan, tank, tips

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com