New tank more questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cd5

Aquarium Advice Activist
My sump is a oceanic, the spill over barely 1/3 to the top of the tank, is that where I am suppose to fill the tank up to, the reason I ask is that I am going to put my heater, protein skimmer, and also damsel in the sump in the beginnning so the I can add him last to the tank

Can I fill up past the spill overs, will the current keep gunk at the bottom before it hits the pump

Mostly you want to make sure you have enough room in your sump in case your power/pump fails. I’d fill your tank up to the overflow and sump up half way. Run your pump and adjust the sump level with aged sw leaving the main alone but also leaving enough so your sump doesn’t overflow once your pump stops running.

Do a couple of tests turning your pump on/off adding water slowly until everything is the right level. Just don’t let your sump go dry either or you could damage your pump.

You can usually adjust the overflow up or down to get the water level where you want it also.

Back
Top Bottom