Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-23-2004, 12:52 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

new tank-need help

i went and got sand from the beach and am ready to put this together but am not exactly sure what all i am going to need--this is the first time i have ever done a saltwater setup. i have a 30 gallon tank and a fluval 404 filter--just wondering if anyone can tell me exactly what i am going to need to do this right.i only want to have two fish in there--i want to get a trigger fish and a lion fish if they get along together---thanks for all your advice!!

Old 02-23-2004, 01:52 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to Cunch Send a message via AIM to Cunch Send a message via MSN to Cunch Send a message via Yahoo to Cunch
My recommendation would be to do some research on this site and other various sites before you jump into the hobby, a 30 gallon is quite small for both a trigger fish and a lionfish. Before you jump into this great hobby and waste a lot of time and money on a tank that could be unsuccesful, spend a week, two or more researching these free websites and gain the knowledge needed before hand.

8O

Cunch

Old 02-23-2004, 05:26 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

new tank

I totally agree with what Cunch said, this is not a hobby you can just jump into and expect everything to run smoothly. It has a lot of factors that affect both how your fish live and how your tank runs.
Do what i did, and that was to spend at least two weeks reading all the questions that people posed on this forum and the replies of the experts.
I still log on and read everthing everynight and have been now doing it for 6 months.
regards kell
Old 02-23-2004, 10:57 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Where you planning on decorating the tank any to provide hiding places? Both of these fish will find it more comforting to have places they can get out of the open water. The lion fish is a fairly heavy bioload fish and the 30 gal tank is going to be at the very limits of acceptable tank size. Is the 30 gal a 30L or a tall tank?

I would suggest adding some live rock to the tank. Not only for decoration but also for filtration capacity. Your aware lion fish have a fairly potent sting? Are you alergic to bee stings? If so then you need to really assess the lionfish.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 10:07 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Sorry, to dig this out of the archives but I've been thinking of a tank in the ~30G area for just a lionfish & maybe some LR and came across this thread. The tank I'm looking at is a tall tank and I wanted to know hitch a ride on fishfreek's tank inquiry. Would a tall 30G be a bad idea for a dwarf lion?
Fauna: gold nugget pleco, otto (3), leopard danio (4), zebra danio (4), hatchets (4), white cloud danio (4), ghost shrimp (4)
Flora: balansae, grn wendtii, red wendtii, tiger lotus, narrow leaf chain sword, java fern,
anubias pygmy, anubias barteri, anubias coffeefolia, dwarf sag, corkscrew val
Filtration: Rena XP3
kristap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 10:13 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Would a tall 30G be a bad idea for a dwarf lion?
There will be less swimming room for the fish w/ a tall tank. I think a fairly large fish, ie. a lionfish, would not be the best choice for such a tank.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:36 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to StripesTheEel
in general i dont think tall tanks are a great choice.. esp for the lion they tend to drift.. a nice long tank is needed for these guys..

StripesTheEel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com