New tank.need help please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

civic702

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone. New to aquarium advice and to the hobby.

I have been doing my fishless cycle for like 5 weeks. I had my ammonia spike and nitrite spike just like it said. I used live rock and pure ammonia from Ace hardware to seed it. So after the the 5 week everything look good ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5-10ppm, that day i did a 50% pwc so i would be ready to add my new fish the next day.:dance: I went to petco and i got my first fish, I got a pair of Ocellaris clowfish they look healthy got home did drip acclimation for like an hour. when i put them in my tank they swim to the bottom everything looked ok.(one thing i did notice was they were opening and closing their mouth alot)next day one had died:confused:(within like 12hour)the other clownfish was still doing the same thing with its mouth.my other clownfish also died that same day. so i tested my water everything is still the same. so i went to another LFS got my water tested their he said every thing was okay. i told him about the my 2 loss fish i had he said to be careful when buying from petco so i bought a cleaner shrimp from him. did the same thing drip acclimate for like 1 hour again as soon as i put him in the tank the shrimp started acting weird he stayed in the same spot and died with in a hour.

Can anyone help me why is this happening? I will not add any more fish now cuz i have something wrong, i dont want to lose more fish.

How much water movement do you have in the tank? What all did you have tested? Results? Mainly interested in pH. I suggest starting with a cheap hardy fish, maybe a green chromis... List any more info that you can on your tank to give us the full picture.

I tested for: Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10ppm, salt 1.023-4, Temp 78-80,
For pH little hard to tell but closest to 8.0. For water movement i have (Zoo Med Power Sweep Automatic Self-Rotating Powerhead Wavemaker) I think its like 270GPH.

Other Info: 50Gallon. I have 3inch sand bed with like 10lb live rock i also have a top fin craggy sea rock Aquarium ornament(from petsmart). I used tap water condition it with API tap water conditioner. I used Oceanic Natural sea salt mix. Also used API Stress Zyme 2 times but stop because read couple of review that i didn't like.
will keep in mind to start with a cheaper fish,but wont buy any till i solve my problem.

Any ideas what is causing the fish to die so fast?

Hard to tell, I've never done the pure ammonia way that you said. Could there have been something else in the stuff you got as well? I would say do a large water change first and see where your at.

Back
Top Bottom