New tank - Need some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ok. Do you add your salt after the pwc or with your water before you pour it in?

got it... just a pain in the butt... I use 5 gallon water jugs to fill it, but I'll find a way. Well, my tank levels are back to normal after losing the nem :'(... trying to get a rose tip on the 1st. LFS is hooking me up with some soft corals today. Feels bad they sold me a condy and the purple tip didn't make it. So, we shall try again... and advice on starfish or urchins?

I know urchins are famous for knocking things around and moving corals. I had a starfish but it died pretty quick. I believe they need a very established tank to thrive.

You can store your water in a garbage can and then just dunk in a bucket to get the amount you need. I fill in 3g increments since its heavy. lol

I just fill it to the 3g line on my painters bucket and mix it there. then i dump the 3g in the tank after the salt has dissolved and the temp matches the tank. Fill and repeat.

actually, when I do a pwc on my 125g I have a line of emptybuckets for the take out water, and behind me a line of 5g buckets filled to 3g to replace it when I get all the "dirty" water buckets full.

It lets me know exactly how much i take out and how much I exactly put back in.

I made it more complicated but it works for me.
:)

I saw urchins eat GHA, and mine is disappearing, but not fast enough... Thinking of trading in one of my clowns, I have 3. I want to get this 150 gallon, but wife told me no with baby on the way... So, I will gladly put it off for now...lol

Yeah, I would trade in the 3rd clown, just asking for trouble there. lol Theres so many other things you can add though so don't feel bad about the 150. When is the baby due?

Kio707 said:
got it... just a pain in the butt... I use 5 gallon water jugs to fill it, but I'll find a way. Well, my tank levels are back to normal after losing the nem :'(... trying to get a rose tip on the 1st. LFS is hooking me up with some soft corals today. Feels bad they sold me a condy and the purple tip didn't make it. So, we shall try again... and advice on starfish or urchins?

Please don't get another anemone,you have already lost two.Your tank needs to be up and running well for at least a year to even try an anemone.

I lost one, the other was suppose to be a long tentacle, but in fact was a condy. And the condy was flourishing fine.

@ Carey- We just found out she was prego about 3 weeks ago, but if you go by old wise tells, sometime in april. I told her she could pick out the last fish I in the tank. The clowns are cool for now, swim together, play, and all three sleep on the same rock.

Kio707 said:
I lost one, the other was suppose to be a long tentacle, but in fact was a condy. And the condy was flourishing fine.

It's your money and your tank,just feel sorry for the anemone you put in.This is an advice forum,so I gave mine,just remember the key to Saltwater success is patience and learning from others mistakes.

Good luck

Oh, I agree. I'm not shrugging off your advice, was just clarifying. Trust me, I felt like dirt when it died and even when the cardinal was sucked up by the PH. I tried everything to get it back to health. Shoulda took it back at the first signs there where issues. It was a learning experience, one not soon forgotten...

So the tank is about 2 months old... just stick with fish, soft corals, and cuc for now?

Kio707 said:
So the tank is about 2 months old... just stick with fish, soft corals, and cuc for now?

That would be best,once your your tank is stable as far as no algae problems,or nitrate or phosphates ,you could even try a Derasa clam in a couple more months.Also candy cane,frogspawn ,hammer,etc.
You need to get into a routine of PWC at least every two weeks and keep your Calcium at between 420 to 460 and alk at least between 7 to 8. Even though I use reef crystals every two weeks for
PWC's I still have to dose some alk every three days because my hard corals eat it up.

Been doing pwc every week of 10-15%. gets expensive, but worth it. I need to upgrade my cuc. It's to small for my tank. Looked on liveaquraia for easy to take care of starfish. Should I stay away from them right now? I really don't want a clam. Pretty, but just not what I want.

I would steer clear of the starfish for now. I thought my tank was ready but mine died within 2 weeks of gettinghim, he literally disintegrated arm by arm. i also had what they said was the easiest to car for star fish. LOL

I woudl especially stay clear of the sand sifting stars, they need a very established sand bed or they actually go under the sand and die polluting your whole tank.

Steering clear... No nems or starfish.... **** I'm inpatient... What about when I get my 150gal? I gotta wait another year or just for it to cycle?

I started my 65 gallon tank last month let it cycle put two fish in for a test run and they did fine. I went and got about 20 lbs of live rock and 30lbs of base rock along with two black and white clowns, and cleaner shrimp. Water temp is 74 sometimes 75 and salt levels are 25. My lighting is excellent. Been feeding with brine shrimp. Anything I'm missing?

If you move over the sand and live rock you can have a head start I guess. But most people just start with new sand in a new tank, easier and cleaner to do that way. Moving the sand causes all the chemicals that are trapped beneath the surface to come out and can cause HUGE parameter spikes.

There's been discussion lately about sand sifting stars being fed in the sand if there isn't enough natural food for them to eat, but I'm not comfortable enough to give it a try, what if people are wrong? Then I risk nuking my tank.

i would say wait, but I'm being overly cautious. You can give an easy one a try perhaps.....

I started my 65 gallon tank last month let it cycle put two fish in for a test run and they did fine. I went and got about 20 lbs of live rock and 30lbs of base rock along with two black and white clowns, and cleaner shrimp. Water temp is 74 sometimes 75 and salt levels are 25. My lighting is excellent. Been feeding with brine shrimp. Anything I'm missing?

Welcome to the forum!!!

Is there a specific question you had? Sounds like you did ok so far. :)

Thought you would never ask. :) I got a nem on one of my live rocks and my clowns haven't hosted it yet? And what's the best way to feed my nem? It's been three days am I just being impatient? Do I need to frequently test ph levels? Is their signs to look out for when ph levels are high?

Back
Top Bottom