New tank - Need some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you move over the sand and live rock you can have a head start I guess. But most people just start with new sand in a new tank, easier and cleaner to do that way. Moving the sand causes all the chemicals that are trapped beneath the surface to come out and can cause HUGE parameter spikes.

There's been discussion lately about sand sifting stars being fed in the sand if there isn't enough natural food for them to eat, but I'm not comfortable enough to give it a try, what if people are wrong? Then I risk nuking my tank.

i would say wait, but I'm being overly cautious. You can give an easy one a try perhaps.....

Ok, no prob. I'll wait it out. It'll be awhile anyways.

There is maybe a 50/50 chance they may host it. Mine ignored the one I had and choose instead to host an expensive australian elegance coral, almost to death. I had to give the coral away to save it.

What type of nem did you get? They almost ALWAYS do best in an established system with pristine water and super lighting. What type of lights do you have? Do you have a liquid test kit, like the API one? You need to monitor more than just the Ph.

When I had my anenome I fed him every few days a piece of frozen silversides. A small piece too, you don't wanna give them huge chunks as they can have serious trouble with it. After a few days after you feed them they sometimes "ball up" which is their way of pooping. LOL

In the future, if you have any questions it's easy enough to start your very own thread as you will get more viewers. But I'm happy to help you with this here if the OP doesnt mind. ( and the moderators don't either) LOL

:-D :-D

I MIND!!!! LOL... Just kidding. We are all here to help each other. But speaking from experience with nem's, be careful in a new tank. I had 1 of my 3 clowns host it and that took a couple of days. See rickreef, I listened... lol

Anyone have experience with adding more then one dwarf angel? I have a coral beauty now, want to add a black nox. Compatibility says with caution, but I know that varies.

This is what I'm workin with

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110824_162308.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110824_162308.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 84
  • ForumRunner_20110824_162333.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110824_162333.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 102
  • ForumRunner_20110824_162352.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110824_162352.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 96
I have no test kits besides a salt content tester I was told I wouldn't need anything till I had algea bloom

Looks like a 4 bulb light, that should be enough light. Has the nem moved or anything? Oh and you need some more rock! LOL

That's not true. I would get a test kit now. Atleast with PH, amonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Trust me, there will be spikes in a new tank.

I have no test kits besides a salt content tester I was told I wouldn't need anything till I had algea bloom

You for sure need a test kit now. Only way to knowif everything is good or about to go bad. The API saltwater master kit is about $25 and has everything you'll need

No he's just been chillen in one spot and yes 4 bulb two white two blue and two moon lights. I been turning the blue on for dusk and dawn white during day and moon for night that's what I research Idk how accurate that is.

Have you thought of getting a timer for your lights? Makes your life a lil easier. I have mine set up for 7 hr white and blues at night. usually when I go to bed I'll turn on the 3 LED's i got.

Sounds like you got the lighting under control. For example, I have my blues go on at 9 am and then the whites at 10am. The whites go off at 8pm and then the blues go off at 9pm. I dont run moonlights, but they don't really make a difference.

The nem will move if he is unhappy usually, if he needs more light or flow he will go to where he wants. Since he's in one spot he probably just likes it there.

i would give him a day or two and see how that goes. he could be digesting the last meal you gave him and if the pieces were too big he may be having a problem with it.

What's the main way to tell if your fish have the itch? Are the white spits real small or pretty apparent?

Got some new LR and got it put in. Changed up the reef. When the dust settles, I'll put up some pics. My poor fish are all confused... Lol... Still need about 20-30lbs of LR... Well, I'll get y'all opinion. Did not get the nem. I'll let it go till my tank is ready for it.

Well, I just added more LR. Pictures coming. Tested my parameters and I'm good across the board. 8.2 pH, 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, and 0 Nitrate... I've never had 0 trate...lol... Need to get a test for ak, mag, and cal. Got a couple of bumble bee snails and 2 turbo snails. GHA is almost gone. I'll be posting pics soon. Also have added some soft coral.

Pics of new LR and reef arrangement. Any opinions, advice, or other comments? Due to the amount of rock, I am investing in another PH... I got two 802's now, any suggestions on what PH to get?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom