New tank - Need some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
huma-huma said:
Id prob get the new tank in place, fill with new sw, let it stabilize, place lr in it,drain old tank to 40-50% place livestock in holding tank/buket, drain remaining water, remove sand,clean thoroughly , place sand into new tank,then lr tgen acclimate...ta da!! Sorry if its a little lengthy but I tried to keep it short

So add my existing sand and not new sand?

You could just replace it or add more, or use just the old, but either way you wanna rinse the beejesus, out of it

Yeah, learned that on my 90 gal... SMH... Thought I rinsed it out enough, was still cloudy...

Got the ok to get the 125 gallon. Going on craigslist to find one. Wish me luck. Going to convert my now empty 75 gal into a sump and sell my 90 when I empty it. Help offset the cost. Was going to use the 90 as sump, but figured I'd get more for a 90 gal tank than a 75... I'll keep y'all updated.

These stupid PH's have claimed another fish...My clowns sleep on a slate rock by the power head and I guess he got to close. He was my biggest one and most colorful too.. :banghead:

So sorry about your fish.....:-(

What kind of power heads do you have? Maybe you can put something over the intake?

So sorry about your fish.....:-(

What kind of power heads do you have? Maybe you can put something over the intake?

:facepalm:802's. They have a screen, but by the time i notice they get sucked up, there is nothing i can do. I'm getting the 1400's on the 1st. Not going to risk another fish.

One of my few fw deaths came from the hands of a powerhead. After that I went with all koralias. The I've only lost 3 fish in my freshwater tanks in over a year and one was to the powerhead. Now you know so youre fixing the situation.

Still sucks though. :-(

I have another issue. I want to get some LR from my LFS (as all the LR I got from him and had no issues), but I noticed he now has lil star fish all over the sides of his tanks. He took in someone else established LR and I guess didn't cure it. Are the starfish safe? Maybe I just outta order 50lbs of reef rock from reefcleaners?

Since you have live rock already I would order the base rock. No chance of hitch hikers and you can rinse and add right away and not have to worry about any parameter swings.
:)

Got it. Just hope they can get it here by Friday. If I order it tomorrow or Thursday...

usually they ship the following day and they ship UPS so it should make it here by Friday.

Shoot John Maloney an email and just ask, he is way cool about everything. :)

Ihave heard NOTHING but good about them. I;ve ordered from aquacon and from petsolutions so far and packaging was excellent on both sellers parts. I can imagine liveaqauria would be the tops. I just hate the shipping fees. LOL I will probably eventually order from them when I'm ready for some more fish/

They have my tang, foxface, and some crabs I want. Any suggestions on goby and blenny? (what type and how many)

I'm partial to the watchman gobies, supposedly they can pair up with pistol shrimp, but mine hasnt. My pink spotted watchman actually comes to my tirkey baster I use to feed and takes food out before I can squirt it. He's quite a character. :)

For blennies I have a lawnmower, excellent algae eater but you need tohave some algae or you have to supplement his feeding. Mine happens to eat everything I put in the tank including carnivourous foods. lol. he's quite the fat ole blenny. But a midas blenny is really nice too, I plan on adding one soon.

Back
Top Bottom