New tank - Need some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Will new fish make ur ammonia go up? Mine went up to about .25 (shade tad lighter on color chart) all other levels are good. pH 8.3, trite 0, trate 0, Ca 475, alk 3.0.... Just keep an eye on it or PWC? Fish went in yesterday.

If your biofilter cant handle the additional fish bioload then yep, it will go up. I would do a pwc soon if it doesnt go back down today.

When you cycled you should have seen ammonia disappear overnight so the new ammonia reading should get turned into trites relatively quickly if you had a normal solid cycle.

It's just a tad up. Not 0, but not quite .25... I'll test again. Maybe it was a bad test...

Just retested twice, both came out 0.... So we are good.... <shew>.... lol

Good news. Means your cycle was solid. I always worry when adding the first few fish that my bioload cant handle them. Just re check in another day or so to be sure. You did add quite a few fish at once...

carey said:
Good news. Means your cycle was solid. I always worry when adding the first few fish that my bioload cant handle them. Just re check in another day or so to be sure. You did add quite a few fish at once...

This is true... Lol

I'm surprised my trates are still 0.... I've been told it's impossible to keep them at 0. And I did feed those guys like 3 times yesterday. They ate it in no time.. The tang is back to hiding.... Again.

Your tank is stillnew so trates may show up sooner than later.

Most of my tanks run at 0 -5 trates and I overfeed like a devil. LOL

My 55g did run consistently at 0 though. It can be done, its just not the norm in my experience and from what I read on here.
But good job so far.

The tang will come out soon, he's just getting used to the tank I betcha.

My kole took about 4-5 days for hime to be active and he had the whole 125g to himself for at least a week when I first out him in adn it still took him awhile to get settled.

Just keep an eye on him as we all know tangs can be difficult fish at times...

He is eating and the fox face is always checking on him and trying to get him to swim with it.

carey said:
Your tank is stillnew so trates may show up sooner than later.

Most of my tanks run at 0 -5 trates and I overfeed like a devil. LOL

My 55g did run consistently at 0 though. It can be done, its just not the norm in my experience and from what I read on here.
But good job so far.

The tang will come out soon, he's just getting used to the tank I betcha.

My kole took about 4-5 days for hime to be active and he had the whole 125g to himself for at least a week when I first out him in adn it still took him awhile to get settled.

Just keep an eye on him as we all know tangs can be difficult fish at times...

My trates use to be 20-40.... I did pwc every week and finally go them down. Trates and the now gone GHA where my biggest challenges....

Good for you! Alot of people just add critters to take care of algae issues, you did it the natural way. Thast excellent. keep it up and you can prob keep those trates that low. :)

carey said:
Good for you! Alot of people just add critters to take care of algae issues, you did it the natural way. Thast excellent. keep it up and you can prob keep those trates that low. :)

Well, just took urs and others advice. Tried different things, combined ideas, or tweaked the ideas. Found out what worked for my tank. I do appreciate everyone's advice.... Still got 2 fish coming. Orange spotted goby (for the wife) and I would like another angel. Just don't wanna over stock...

I'd for sure wait awhile though, you just added what, 3 fish? I woudl ahte to see you oveload your biofilter and run into issues. Unless of course you will qt them for awhile before adding.

I hate being the kiljoy type of person but it was worth saying. :)

carey said:
I'd for sure wait awhile though, you just added what, 3 fish? I woudl ahte to see you oveload your biofilter and run into issues. Unless of course you will qt them for awhile before adding.

I hate being the kiljoy type of person but it was worth saying. :)

It's cool... Only one that will be here is orange spotted because liveaquraia couldn't get me my blue spotted watchman.

I'm looking at u, ur looking, at me, and I'm still looking at u... Lmao

Last edited:
carey said:
he is so cool. I really want one in the 90g tank I'm probably keeping. :)

I'm jealous! I want ur 90!!! I had the perfect set up for it!!!

Fox riding the current back and forth... Lol.... Hawk stocking tang.... Best two tang shots I can get... He's fast and shy... He always comes out when I'm not looking...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom