New tank - Need some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't know everyone's location but check out www.mrcoral.com, I've never had anything shipped but have bought from them in store check out the ten dollar section.there located in Frederick,Maryland

That dude is expensive!!!! LOL... but the $10 and $20 sections make up for it...:thanks:

Kio707 said:
How hard are sea horses to keep?

I've heard they are for more advanced hobbyists, not to say they are impossible though. Just need a slower flow with lots of grab points

How hard are sea horses to keep?

I did some research before on sea horses and they are a bit hard to care for sometimes. They need to be in their own tank perhaps with a non-aggressive slow bottom dweller. They are very slow swimmers and cannot have much flow. If you have faster fish in the tank they will eat all the food and your sea horses with die in a short time period. A lot of people set up a tank special for their sea horses because that is the best way to be able to control their environment and make sure they all have enough to eat and thrive.

Here is a good article about them. It tells your a bit about the anatomy of the sea horses and talks about what tank mates they can have and cant have. It's an interesting read. I personally love sea horses and want a herd of them but they take a lot of extra care and cant go in my regular tank. When I first started not to long ago they were the first ting on my list but I had to push it off for a while after I heard the whole story about them! lol

Aquarium Fish: Seahorse Care: A Basic Guide To Starting Your First Herd — Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine

I have not read the article yet but sea horses was one of our first sw talks and figured we had to keep them in a species only tank.

Yet another article to read. How serious are u about seahorses?

coffeetwitch said:
I have not read the article yet but sea horses was one of our first sw talks and figured we had to keep them in a species only tank.

Yet another article to read. How serious are u about seahorses?

Pretty serious... Going to read article as soon as I get home...

You have to be careful with wht you add with them, their bodies are really flimsy and they swim up right, almost bobing up and down which makes them a really slow swimmer. They are not at all fast so when feeing time comes along and there is another fish by the time they swim to it, it'd be gone. Poor things would starve. Then the issue with flow as well, dont want to much to blow them away!

Lioness2 said:
You have to be careful with wht you add with them, their bodies are really flimsy and they swim up right, almost bobing up and down which makes them a really slow swimmer. They are not at all fast so when feeing time comes along and there is another fish by the time they swim to it, it'd be gone. Poor things would starve. Then the issue with flow as well, dont want to much to blow them away!

Yeah... It'd be a species only, maybe some goby or blennies... I'll defiantly do my homework...

Well, came home to every fish out and about! It was awesome for the 5 secs it lasted... Lol... The clowns where exploring, fox face and tang running around, and the damsels off in the corner... Lol... On the sad note, lost a damsel... It was the weaker one, so not sure if it got taken out... It wasn't lookin like the others in the QT... Cuc all but left pieces, so couldn't tell what exactly happened.... But tank looks awesome and running great... Next thing is the new sump tomorrow..... Get new titanium heater and I'll be ready to go...

If you keep any corals you need to keep check on both your Alk and calcium.

I measure calcium but never really alk. I do bi weekly 30% water changes and dose calcium when it drops under 400 ppm. Coralline is exploding and my LPS have been fragged several times. I don't see a need to measure Alk if nothing goes awry without my knowing it.

Sarcothelia said:
I measure calcium but never really alk. I do bi weekly 30% water changes and dose calcium when it drops under 400 ppm. Coralline is exploding and my LPS have been fragged several times. I don't see a need to measure Alk if nothing goes awry without my knowing it.

I'm surprised you are having to dose calcium if you are doing a 30% water change twice a week in a 28 gallon.You shouldn't have to dose anything.

Oh I thought bi weekly meant every other week. My bad haha.

googled it just now out of curiosity...seems it is every 2 weeks.

Sarcothelia said:
Oh I thought bi weekly meant every other week. My bad haha.

googled it just now out of curiosity...seems it is every 2 weeks.

LOL,I googled it to,seems it has two definitions ,we are both right.Anyway doing the 30% "every two weeks"if you are having to dose calcium ,your alk level might be staying low.You might want to check.

Woke up today and got to see the Tang running around. As soon as he saw me he just stopped and stared... Didn't run or hide. Few seconds later he went back to swimming in the currents... lol. Awesome personality!

Kio707 said:
Woke up today and got to see the Tang running around. As soon as he saw me he just stopped and stared... Didn't run or hide. Few seconds later he went back to swimming in the currents... lol. Awesome personality!

Lol thats awesome! My tang has adhd I swear. He NEVER stops swimming, and its never the same pattern

Back
Top Bottom