New tank - Need some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There will be more LR added, but does anyone have any other suggestions? The current is awesome, swirls the whole tank. The diatom is slowly going away. My whole tank use to be red brown, about crushed me. Then I read up on some other threads and learned it's part of the cycle... Thanks to everyone. Ur advice has been priceless... Please keep it coming.

Last edited:
8.3 ph, 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrite, 5ppm nitrate when I tested yesterday. Gravity at 1.022-1.023.

Where is the best website to get LR. The lfs doesn't really have much of a selection.

LFS gave me this and said use it everyday. Is this a good or bad idea? Haven't gotten a tester for calcium, but was told I didn't need it, add this everyday and the soft corals I have will thrive... Need some advice.

Last edited:
I don't think youre at the point where you need to dose anything. And a good rule of thumb is to never dose anything you aren't testing for. Corals will be fine with water changes every week. :)

That's another thing, he said every 2-4 weeks for water changes... Bad advice?

I do mine every week as do most. If you are comfortable and youre tank can handle it you may be able to go every 2 weeks.

The water you change out replenishes the nutrients and vitamins that your tank needs to stay healthy. You are also exporting out the nitrates which otherwise can build up.

This is why I love this site! Thanks for the advice. Anyone have a good idea for a portable r/o system? It's a pain in the *** going up stairs with 5 5gal jugs... Lol

Its usually every week until your tank getsreally settled in...even then the nanos and smaller tanks are still best if done weekly

Nope:) there's a chance you'll get to bi-weekly or month pwc's BUT that's solely based on how your tank settles in. Some are more effective than others

Well, I got a pretty big sump with rock chamber, carlupa (plant) in crushed coral. It's really clear now and just keeps looking better. Pwc are 20%, like fresh water?

i base my pwc's on the trate level...if its 2.5-5, then ill do 15g, if its higher, 30g... but thats only because my tanks still establishing... you're best to experiment and find a good % IMO

Back
Top Bottom