New tank - Need some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sounds almost liek what happened to me a few months ago. I am SOO sorry to hear about your latest losses, I know exactly how you feel.

Let's just back up and see if we can't find a solution, my problem remained a mystery but I hope we all can find the answer in your case.

How long has the tank been up and running since you cycled? I assume all your parameters are in order yes?

What fish do you have left? And which ones have died? We know the platinum was your latest fish right? Do you have any fish in qt still? If so I'd hold off on adding them until you can get a handle on this

Again, i am just dumbfoundedly sad over your current situation.....

carey said:
Sounds almost liek what happened to me a few months ago. I am SOO sorry to hear about your latest losses, I know exactly how you feel.

Let's just back up and see if we can't find a solution, my problem remained a mystery but I hope we all can find the answer in your case.

How long has the tank been up and running since you cycled? I assume all your parameters are in order yes?

What fish do you have left? And which ones have died? We know the platinum was your latest fish right? Do you have any fish in qt still? If so I'd hold off on adding them until you can get a handle on this

Again, i am just dumbfoundedly sad over your current situation.....

I got it June 15, cycled for 4 weeks. I now have a Bangui cardinal, fox face, hawkfish, and hopefully my bleenie is still alive. I have a rbta, 2 cleaner shrimp, 2 pep shrimp, and a sea star serpent. I lost all damsels, tang, pajama cardinals, my clowns :'(, and royal gamma. Parameters are good, new light is high off tank, and I've done nothing els different... Added a new sump, but u saw how clean that was and used aquarium safe silicone. No white spots, scratched up fish, or white gills. No ghost looking fish or erratic behavior. Everyone is eating pellets and frozen food...

So you've been up and running after cycling for about 2 months. I count 10 fish, but I don't know how many damsels or PJ's you had. That's alot of fish for an established tank even. Thats' one of the things that "could" have happened with my tank as well when it comes down to it.

My best recommendation and advice is to let it just run with what you have for a while. That's what i did. I let my tank sit with the survivors for over 2 months. It sucked but it also took away the guesswork if anything was in my water as it would have seen it's life cycle come and go. Not everything is ich or velvet, theres gotta be tons of other things that could have been responsible disease wise.

if you have any more issues though with fish it might be time to consider whether your tank was exposed to a contaminant of some type or theres something else like that at play. None of the fish you listed would have killed each other or been any problem. Especially what you have left, I don't see the cardinal, foxface or the blenny attacking your clown.

This is just an opinion. i could easily be wrong.

Also, you can send a pm to any of the experts and see what they think. thats what i did with my mystery death spree.

3 damsels and 2 pj cardinals... And let's not forget the coral beauty, flame angel, and kole tang... I just don't get it. Wouldn't my inverts react of it was contaminated?

My shrimp survived my outbreak of whatever as well. thats why i came up with the too soon idea. It's the only thing I can think of. You qt'd the fish for awhile at least and didnt notice anything wrong with them or else you wouldn't have put them in. Stress on the system AND the fish can take it's toll. Any little thing could have started this tragedy. We know it's not water parameters cause you keep up on them and your shrimp are still fine for now. You just have to rule things out and try your best. thats all anyone can ask.

Just feel like I failed... Idk, even had thoughts of selling the tank and giving up.

Kio707 said:
Just feel like I failed... Idk, even had thoughts of selling the tank and giving up.

Don't give up.Most of us had problems when we first started.Go back over everything.Do you have at least one and a half lbs,preferably two lbs. Of rock per gallon.?
Plus you have to go slow when adding livestock.
I just lost one of my lye tail Anthias today,and I have no idea why.

Plenty of LR and base... I got about 85-95 lbs of live rock and 75lbs of base.

Don't give up! I thought the same way, really!

It will all settle down and become fun again, just give it a chance. I promise. :)

Kio707 said:
Plenty of LR and base... I got about 85-95 lbs of live rock and 75lbs of base.

That's good,just keep doing at least 15% water change every two weeks and keep check on your Calcium and alk.Wait two or three weeks before you try to add any more fish.
It's tough but the satisfaction we get from our hobby does outweigh the heartaches.My wife calls it the money pit.

Durn I'm starting to sound like Dr. Phil.
Anyway,don't give up.

I'm sure many will disagree,but IMO doing a 15% water change every two weeks is enough.Once your tank has cycled and all your parms are in line doing a 20% water change every week is not necessary unless you have an emergency situation.Water changes,no matter how careful you are with exact temp,salinity etc. do still stress the fish and corals some.

im not done catching up but dont!!!!! you had a set back. do not give up!!! even successful aquarists fail. but thats how they become successful. take it as a lesson that even if we do everything right. something can still happen beyond our control...

Last edited:
ok im current. dont sell anything. keep the tank up and running. and i stand by what i said. take this as a lesson, not a failure.

Just lost my fox face and bleenie.... Two fish left in tank... I have no idea what it could be....

Kio707 said:
Just lost my fox face and bleenie.... Two fish left in tank... I have no idea what it could be....

So sorry about your losses..........

Last edited:
Yeah seems strange, that many fish don't just die for no reason if the parameters are correct. If there's no sign of ich, it may be you put your hand in the tank with something that would effect them? That or something like a spray around the tank may have gotten in?

Back
Top Bottom