New tank - Need some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
matthewh133 said:
Yeah seems strange, that many fish don't just die for no reason if the parameters are correct. If there's no sign of ich, it may be you put your hand in the tank with something that would effect them? That or something like a spray around the tank may have gotten in?

I don't really spray anything even close to the tank and it's just me, my wife is in Germany... I always wash my hands before I stick them in the tank and never wear lotion if I'm in the tank... I'm totally dumbfounded...

I think the cardinal isn't going to make it either... The flame hawk is still swimming well.. I am lost... I'm open to any suggestions.... I've just lost my whole tank in a day... Wow, I just can't believe it...

Kio707 said:
Not ur fault, man. It's because of my inexperience they died...

It doesnt sound at all like your fault. You have done everything right as far as i have seen. Dont blame yourself

It's not your fault at all. You can't do anything if you don't even know what is happening. It's seems like everything is where it is supposed.

just curious, because we go to great lengths to keep soap out of our tanks, but we wash before we dig in them to keep contaminants out... does this bother anyone else... should we be washing with like vinegar instead of soap or something?

kurtyboh said:
just curious, because we go to great lengths to keep soap out of our tanks, but we wash before we dig in them to keep contaminants out... does this bother anyone else... should we be washing with like vinegar instead of soap or something?

I actually just use warm water and paper towel off afterwards...

:( I'm so sorry to hear that kio! :( along with Carey that's happened to me. I found out it was something coming from my liverock. It had this weird slime coming from it. I'd check the tank to make sure you don't have anything like that going on! :(

Kio you just added new sump right, where did the tank come from and was it new or used.

It was used. I spent 3 days cleaning it.... I coulda sold it brand new it was so clean. After I installed the glass, I let it sit another 4 days. Tested it with water, then added everything else from my old sump. You think there coulda been something I missed?

Are there any symptoms before a fish passes? Mine for instance hid and didnt eat and then wham they were dead within hours of the first sign.

I gotta be honest, I still blame myself for my 125g nightmare. Even though I tried my best I still feel I did or didn't do something. BUT I kept things rolling. I still worry about anything everything I add. I wouldn't let it get you too down, it happens. And I know how you feel exactly, is probably the best thing I can say.

You can move past this though, so don't let it be the end of your hobby. You've sunk all this cash into it and you enjoy it so keep going. What about the qt tank, anything funny going on in there since all your fish spend some time in there?

Good luck with your fish, I hope they make it. But if not, you know we're here for you.

Some hid, others played in front of the PH... All seemed to be eating. QT tank prams are good... But of course water came from DT, with pwc of course. I thought the 1st thing to go if anything was wrong would be the nem. It hides at night, but is HUGE when the lights are on. The cardinal and hawkfish where alive when I left. We shall see... Wife called last night after I text her the clown died (was her lil fish) and told me to retrace my steps and not give up... So we shall see... Just going to leave tank alone for 4 weeks, feed inverts, do water changes, etc... I don't know what else to rest for... I don't wanna treat for something like ich if I can see I don't have it. I'm missing something, just don't know what....

I left my tank alone for some 2 months after my fish wipeout. I knew it wasnt ich or velvet but I still figured it had to be SOMETHING so I left the 4 survivors in the tank and to date have not had any issues. I just started re adding fish, very slowly I might add, tot he tank. I've added 2 new fish since then and also moved a pair of oscellaris over to it in the time since the deaths happened. I also qt each fish for 2 weeks now, so I can rule out ich and velvet and other parasites. It might not be a full month but it's been working for me so far.

You guys do alot of water changes, is it possible there is something in you ro/di unit or filters? Or if you buy your water maybe try a different water source? Just taking into account everything that could be the source.

LA has barnacle bleenies on sell!!!

LOL KIO, youre the second person to tell me! I luckily got mine for $15 from aquacon and he's so far been perfect.

Thanks though! Arent they adorable? I was thinking on getting multiples but not sure if they get along and LA doesnt mention it. hehe

Back
Top Bottom