New tank - Need some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Actually I was so paranoid I left it for over 8 weeks. Just to be sure. But I would sit back enjoy the fish you have and see what happens. As long as your parameters are good the remaining ones should be ok.

as a side question, were you messing with your alkalinity? or am I confusing you with someone else? lol I am so confused sometimes when it comes to threads....

carey said:
Actually I was so paranoid I left it for over 8 weeks. Just to be sure. But I would sit back enjoy the fish you have and see what happens. As long as your parameters are good the remaining ones should be ok.

as a side question, were you messing with your alkalinity? or am I confusing you with someone else? lol I am so confused sometimes when it comes to threads....

Yes... But it's steady. 3-4 meq/L... I also changed my salt.

ahh ok, I remembered correctly. :) I would just keep doing water changes on schedule with the new salt and see if that raises your alk automatically.
What salt did you switch from and go to? Also, when you dose for alkalinity it can affect the ph too,actually quite significantly depending on the product, just a thought.

And one more question! lol What test kit are you using for alk? For alk,calcium,phosphates and magnesium I would suggest going with salifert or elos, really accurate and very easy to use. :)

carey said:
ahh ok, I remembered correctly. :) I would just keep doing water changes on schedule with the new salt and see if that raises your alk automatically.
What salt did you switch from and go to? Also, when you dose for alkalinity it can affect the ph too,actually quite significantly depending on the product, just a thought.

And one more question! lol What test kit are you using for alk? For alk,calcium,phosphates and magnesium I would suggest going with salifert or elos, really accurate and very easy to use. :)

Using seachem, and actually 3-4 is proper for this test... I use seachem for all my testing...

Had a crazy idea, but hear me out. Was thinking of using my 29 gal as a sectioned off QT tank. It would have constant filtration with the filter, but also chambered off so fish aren't in top of each other and no conflicts.... Opinions?

I think Kio means put a divider between his 29g, and then use seperate equipment to filter that side. Am I right?

redsea said:
I think Kio means put a divider between his 29g, and then use seperate equipment to filter that side, right?

No... Lol... Basically cut the sump into separate QT sections but have enough room under the glass so all I need is one filter...

coffeetwitch said:
kk just so if you qt more than one fish you dont have to worry about the fish fighting or stressing each other out?

Exactly!!!!! !!!!!

I am pretty new to SW too. I was losing fish even though my parameters were all good. I realized I wasn't acclimating them long enough. They were fine for a few days, then just died very suddenly. And another thing I was doing wrong, when I did pwc I didn't check to make sure the salinity was the same in my tank and in the bucket of water to be added. Now I make sure they are the same, and I acclimate for 2-3 hours using the drip method. I haven't lost a fish since I started doing these things. I've had the same fish for two months- a scooter blenny(I love him), a tomato clown, a six line wrasse, and a skunk cleaner shrimp. And two Mexican turbo snails(they work hard). I was ready to give up because of the fish that died. These may have nothing to do with your losses, but worth considering.

kaileykari said:
I am pretty new to SW too. I was losing fish even though my parameters were all good. I realized I wasn't acclimating them long enough. They were fine for a few days, then just died very suddenly. And another thing I was doing wrong, when I did pwc I didn't check to make sure the salinity was the same in my tank and in the bucket of water to be added. Now I make sure they are the same, and I acclimate for 2-3 hours using the drip method. I haven't lost a fish since I started doing these things. I've had the same fish for two months- a scooter blenny(I love him), a tomato clown, a six line wrasse, and a skunk cleaner shrimp. And two Mexican turbo snails(they work hard). I was ready to give up because of the fish that died. These may have nothing to do with your losses, but worth considering.

Most of the fish I had where in the tank for about a month or so, the one true clown was my 1st fish and had been in since July. I drip for about 2 hrs also. It's still a mystery to me why this happened, but I did start testing my water I was putting in.

Wow... Seems like lately all I do is report bad news on this thread. Had another lose to the mystery disease. My cardinal... All that's left is my hawkfish... The peppermint shrimp molted too. Nem, crabs, starfish, and corals all good. So my question to the most experienced of y'all... What kills fish, but leaves a nem, shrimp, corals all healthy? I think if I find the answer to that, i'd find my mystery killer..

Yep, I wish we had an answer. I;m still second guessing what happened to the fish I had that died. My seahare, shrimp, other inverts and 3 of my fish survived and it just still baffles me why it didn't take everything out. My corals also were all fine.

sorry about your cardinal, I know this sucks big time for you. Here's hoping there's a sole survivor of this madness......

Back
Top Bottom