New tank - Need some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
eh..if we're talking maroons, there's nothing like a gold stripe, but..did i say NO MAROONS?!?!
lol..i just dislike them because they get large, aggressive, and territorial. percs and the like stay small and don't add much to the bio load. plus, guests recognize them. you don't know how many times i was in front of the gym tank discussing/educating a member, and they are like "why don't you have a little nemo in there?". i'd then say, "i do have a nemo...look, there's suntan nemo...."

mr_X said:
eh..if we're talking maroons, there's nothing like a gold stripe, but..did i say NO MAROONS?!?!
lol..i just dislike them because they get large, aggressive, and territorial. percs and the like stay small and don't add much to the bio load. plus, guests recognize them. you don't know how many times i was in front of the gym tank discussing/educating a member, and they are like "why don't you have a little nemo in there?". i'd then say, "i do have a nemo...look, there's suntan nemo...."

My lfs has a beautiful maroon and gold one. It's in with a snowflake eel and one spot fox face...

coffeetwitch said:
and you probably wont for a long time. its such a rare pattern that came from nowhere and they cant bread it.

or so ive read.

Dang it man... Lol

mr_X said:

Plus I'm a Miami fan and my brother is a FSU fan, I'd never live it down having a maroon and yellow clown... Lol

yeah 2 have been found in the past 5 yrs, the first didnt make it off the boat the second was purchased by a guy from duluth, mn for 2500 bucks. There were higher offers but it was generally assumed he would have the highest chance of success for breeding, which he hasn't in fact it nearly died once because he went out of town for a weekend and the tank started to leak.... anyhow there is a blog you can follow along. It goes through like 2 yrs of stuff though so be prepared.

The Lightning Project - The ongoing saga of the PNG Lightning Maroon Clownfish Breeding Project

the third one found was an april fools joke there was a third one found in 2010 and in 2011... but if you read the blog the guy who owns the fish falsified the 2011 one and shows before and after images of photoshopped fish.

mr x if you think about it though, 2500 for the only game in town isnt a bad deal, he'll probably hold onto any out of the first clutch that have the trait, he'll be able to get up to 300 easy for any after that, thats good money even with the time and expense of like 8-9 pairings over the course of 2-3 yrs

kurtyboh said:
mr x if you think about it though, 2500 for the only game in town isnt a bad deal, he'll probably hold onto any out of the first clutch that have the trait, he'll be able to get up to 300 easy for any after that, thats good money even with the time and expense of like 8-9 pairings over the course of 2-3 yrs

He deff would be able to get that but ora and sa will be the ones to jump on those clowns to breed then copy right

but it's not like a diamond necklace. one broken heater or toddler spilling the simple green in the tank and 2500 out the window, not to mention, they aren't even that nice IMO.

mr_X said:
but it's not like a diamond necklace. one broken heater or toddler spilling the simple green in the tank and 2500 out the window, not to mention, they aren't even that nice IMO.

So, through all this, lol... Go with nemo and a b&w, as long as the are same species?

here's an old pic of mine. don't they look nice....
img_1568245_0_1d90198a700c2a29f13b72b10a2b548a.jpg

i agree wiht you x, not a super fan of the maroons, but the lightning is fun... those fish you have there are gorgeous which type are they?

Back
Top Bottom