New tank - Need some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A BABY!!! How awesome! Congratulations!

And a mandarin? You have been busy!! Did you get the ORA mandarin or a regular one?

ORA, but idk if it'll eat frozen yet, but up my pods. I had a colony going, just upgraded the numbers.

Just use a turkey baster and shut down your flow for feeding. :) I started mine off on frozen cyclopeeze and worked my way up to brine, bloodworms and mysis. They are very very slow eaters and wont' get much food if the flow is running in my experience.

Were there pictures of the mandarin? I didn't see any but I just glanced through some pages of this post. lol

carey said:
Just use a turkey baster and shut down your flow for feeding. :) I started mine off on frozen cyclopeeze and worked my way up to brine, bloodworms and mysis. They are very very slow eaters and wont' get much food if the flow is running in my experience.

Were there pictures of the mandarin? I didn't see any but I just glanced through some pages of this post. lol

Some repost... ........

Last edited:
Awww precious! Those are the nice ones, I don't like the spotted ones as much as these guys. Do you know if its a boy or a girl or didnt they know?

Thanks for the repost, as you know it can be difficult trying to find something in a thread as long as this one lol

carey said:
Awww precious! Those are the nice ones, I don't like the spotted ones as much as these guys. Do you know if its a boy or a girl or didnt they know?

Thanks for the repost, as you know it can be difficult trying to find something in a thread as long as this one lol

Not sure, but the colors are very bright.

I think sexing them has to do with the dorsal fins on top. The pair that I choose mine from has a smaller fin while the male had a larger fin and was larger in size. It's probably silly to want to know the sex of the fish but I like to know. Makes it easier to name them if I do LOL

Either way nice pickup. Is it in qt now and what if anything are you feeding it? QT might be a good place to see what you can try to feed him. BUT if he isn't eating then the DT might be the place for him since it will have some pods to hopefully get him by until he gets on prepared foods. :)

I know right, a day or two away and I'm sooo behind.

Yep, that nutramar has also been recommended to me for mine, that might be a good place to start. It took mine about a week before she would start eating anything but pods and she started out really slow, just a piece here and there. i would actually count how many she ate. lol She has gone from a flat almost concave belly to a fuller stomach now so I know she is eating well. i also feed at least two times a day now, I was feeding 3 times for her.

I hope yours does really well, it would be a great fish to keep. :-D

Tusk is out for a fish. Not to cool with loosing all my crabs after all. Any ideas on another fish to be my center piece?

Kio707 said:
Tusk is out for a fish. Not to cool with loosing all my crabs after all. Any ideas on another fish to be my center piece?

Ah bummer! Tusk looks pretty wicked. But I can see why you wouldn't want to have all your crabs become a snack.

I have a coral banded shrimp and I like him, I read a lot of negative comments on here about them, so far I have seen mine try to pinch at a fish a few times, but he hasn't hurt anyone yet. Hopefully he doesn't cause he is cool to watch!

Back
Top Bottom