New tank - Need some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We have a condy that our fish never go near. But she seems to be inordinately lazy (as in we placed her on a rock in our tank day 1 and she has never moved from that spot) so I honestly don't know. People talk about how dangerous they are but we have had ours in our tank for 6 months and it hasn't caused us the first problem. I'm sure if it had the chance... It would eat whatever it could? I'm not familiar with the long tentacle anemones so see if someone else offers their opinion on which it might be. If it is expelling large amounts of waste (stringy brown goo), it has recently had a big meal and may be the source of your missing fish. :(

Yeah, I think your right about the fish. My other clown stays on the other side of the tank. I just added a coral beauty and it's swam passed it several times, even stole it's spot. I talked to lfs and he showed me his invoice and agreed it's not a long tentacle. Offered to take it back and replace fish. I told him I'll keep it, but if it attacks anything else, I'll return it. Plus he will still replace my fish. So atleast lfs is working with me.

Kio707 said:
Yeah, I think your right about the fish. My other clown stays on the other side of the tank. I just added a coral beauty and it's swam passed it several times, even stole it's spot. I talked to lfs and he showed me his invoice and agreed it's not a long tentacle. Offered to take it back and replace fish. I told him I'll keep it, but if it attacks anything else, I'll return it. Plus he will still replace my fish. So atleast lfs is working with me.

Replace it with a long tentacle anemone. There's honestly no reason to keep it.

K. Will do.. Now I can't find my coral beauty!!!! Imma about make this thing jerky!!!! Ugh!!!

Over reacted... Lol... Found coral beauty, traded condy for purple tip seebae.... Pics coming soon...

Also got two clownfish with it. They are all from same tank bred, so hope they get along...

Thanks... Being a new guy to this, I've been doing a lot of research... I liked them better too. Now I gotta get rid of the GHA... Getting more inverts for that issue.

Help!!!! Everything I'm reading says a purple tip is for experts only, I by NO means am an expert SW hobbyist.... Do I screw up?

No, don't worry. Anemones aren't very difficult to keep. Just keep your water quality high and appropriate lighting. Every once in a while, you could feed him some uncooked seafood. I got my sebae anemone a month after getting into the hobby and it's been doing perfectly, even hosting both my maroon clowns.

K. Was sweating bullets... Lol... Lighting seems great, just did pwc, and fed it some frozen brine shrimp. It took it, so hopefully it'll find a place to chill and prosper...

slitherbomb said:
No, don't worry. Anemones aren't very difficult to keep. Just keep your water quality high and appropriate lighting. Every once in a while, you could feed him some uncooked seafood. I got my sebae anemone a month after getting into the hobby and it's been doing perfectly, even hosting both my maroon clowns.

Actually anemones can be fairly difficult to keep. They require pretty pristine water conditions and don't live very long in aquariums for the most part. Most of the "experts" maintain that an aquarium should be at least a year old to minimize the dangers of fluctuating water parameters.

That being said... Keep a close eye on it. You are obviously researching now on the care requirements, which is good. You may have found a healthy specimen that you will have great success with. Good luck.

Buzz kill... Lol... (Jk) Ok. I will. The condy was really doing great, so lord willing, it'll make it. I'll keep you posted. Looks as if the two new clowns are really interested in it. Keep swimming really close to it... Hopefully they will host. We shall see. I do appreciate the advice.

Lol. I know, right? Someones always gotta rain on a parade. But, better to know that there is some cause for caution than to make mistakes. Anemones are pretty sensitive to change and they aren't very forgiving with mistakes. Make sure you keep an eye on your water quality and provide them with some serious light and you should be fine. We also target feed ours on occasion. A simple set of chopsticks is a good way to do that. It will take the food right off of them.

My light is really good. And I target fed it earlier. Had the frozen brine shrimp and placed it by it's mouth. It's tentacles grabbed it and it munched a lil. I left it alone for now, going back upstairs in a few to check on it. Still mad I lost my 6 line wrasse, but I did get a purple tip and two clowns outta the deal.

Back
Top Bottom