New tank / newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bsnow0410

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok so I've got a couple things down but still so millions of things to learn.

So I have questions on rock. I'm just gunna buy all dry rock and cycle it like that for about a month and then put some lights on it. How is this gunna work? Give me some info greatly appreciated

Ohh and forgot to add. It's a 20 long and I was gunna start out with like 17 pounds so I can add maybe some already cycled rock. Or should I just order like 21 pounds of dry rock?

Dry rock isn't going to cycle. It's just rock and nothing else. There's nothing decaying to create an ammonia source. 4 lbs of LR isn't going to cycle your tank either, but it will give you some good and bad hitchhikers. To actually cycle your tank you'll want to leave a table shrimp in a net or mesh bag in the tank or use pure ammonia for a less smelly route.

The fundamentals of fishless cycling:
Cycle your salt tank - Aquarium Advice

Dry rock isn't going to cycle. It's just rock and nothing else. There's nothing decaying to create an ammonia source. 4 lbs of LR isn't going to cycle your tank either, but it will give you some good and bad hitchhikers. To actually cycle your tank you'll want to leave a table shrimp in a net or mesh bag in the tank or use pure ammonia for a less smelly route.

The fundamentals of fishless cycling:
Cycle your salt tank - Aquarium Advice

Well can I still put all the dry rock in there and then just put the pure ammonia in there and after awhile it become live rock?

Definitely! Exactly what I did and I have amphipods, copepods, sea squirts, mini brittle stars, stometalla snails, different worms, etc. The only pest I've found are fireworms. They all came from chaeto and whatever rock/plug my corals came on.

You can buy the pure ammonia from a hardware store. It has to have no scent and I think no bubbles if you shake it. I got pure ammonia from Dr. Tim's aquatics. Dose very minimally.

You can buy the pure ammonia from a hardware store. It has to have no scent and I think no bubbles if you shake it. I got pure ammonia from Dr. Tim's aquatics. Dose very minimally.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated

No problem. Waiting for the cycle to end is the hardest part, but you can spend time researching/making a stock list.

Yea I still have probably two weeks before I can even start putting it together and in about a month I'm gunna gonna a 120watt led light

Also..I should have an inch of sand at the bottom and rocks on top of the sand right?

Ok so I'm gunna be using a canister filter and I know I shouldn't but I'm using what I got for now and later getting a sump built. But the canister filter uses carbon. Will that work for saltwater? And also there is like little porus rocks I can buy offline for filters. Would those work?

If you ever have sand sifting fish or inverts they can burrow under and potentially make rocks unstable, I have heard of rock piles falling because of this with devastating results! Don't underestimate the power of the fishes :)

Back
Top Bottom