New tank, old rock with white pods.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Enolamron

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I have just set up a 15 gallon tank in my theater room. A friend gave me a rock for my tank but rock is not in the greatest condition. I believe I can fix that with time. I guess my first question is did I make a mistake putting the rock in my tank? I also noticed a bunch of white fuzzy pod like things all over the rock and was wondering what they were and if they were trouble?

Here are the pictures I took.

Thanks

You still have to cycle your tank right. Just cure the rock while you cycle your tank. Hard to tell but it looks like the white things are small Qtip sponges.

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I just set my tank up today so it still needs to cycle. The rock was cured in another tank it came right from a tank that has been up for about 6 years.

Hard to tell but it looks like the white things are small Qtip sponges.
I agree. Looks like a nice piece of LR. Since the LR came from an established system you may not have a traditional cycle. If the Q-tip sponges survived most likely the other beneficial life did as well including the nitrifying bacteria. Good luck

I definitely agree, they do look like some sort of sponge and that is an awesome piece of rock.

Back
Top Bottom