New tank plans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

captivereefs

Aquarium Advice Addict
Looks like I may be doing a new tank. Peliminary plans call for a inwall 240 that will be 96" x 24" x 24" .Front glass will be starfire! THe basement has been framed just waiting on drywall and electrical! I will keep everybody posted with the progress. Now to the drawing/designing board!

I am going with a glasscages.com tank. The tank only costs $745 retail before shipping. I can pick it up at a tradeshow in IL for $80! I was going to go with an oceanic 200 but my dealer cost on that is $792! And the oceanic does not have starfire glass. I actually think the glasscages uses a generic Starfire glass but if its glear who cares!

I heard some people locally say that the tanks at glasscages.com were very nice and the price was fantastic.

good luck

Did you say $80 for a $745 tank!?!?!

Maybe I'll drive to IL. :roll: :mrgreen:

I'm having to wait for my final, custom built retirement home for the in wall. Of course with the room in the back for the fridge, water supply, drain, QT setup.

The low lead glass added $120 and the oveflows were an extra $100 plus you need overflow covers for $50 a piece. I think i added that up right! He told me in a few weeks the will be south of chicago.

Best part is this whole project is a write off! Sometimes life is good! :D

$80 is just a fee for him bringing it to the show. The tank was $745. If i have it shipped to a freight dock in milwaukee it wwill cost $290. I think i will drive a few hours to save $210.

Take pics as the project unfolds. Love to see those progressive pics! Have Fun...Lando

Well the electrical has been completed and the drywall is ging up tuersday. After thinking about the new tank I think i am going to make it a LPS/soft coral tank. I just do not have the time for an SPS tank nor do i want to spend the money to do one the right way.

I am going to run 4 coralvue 175 watt 10K with T-5 actinics and run an ASM G5 skimmer. I have a budget of $3500 to get it 100% going so i hope i can stay under it!

Fish i know i want

A pair of mandarins (never had a tank tank big enough till now)

Pair of clowns with Rose BTA

Copperband butterfly

school of anthias (not sure what kind yet)

Midas blenny

Purple tang

Powder blue tang

Black tang

I think with an 8 foot tank i can do all 3 tangs safely!

There may be a few more but thats it for now. Any other suggestions are welcome. I am just hoping everyting works out an d i can do this. Just waiting for one of lifes surprise to change my plans!

watch the copperbanded ! i love the fish but any feather duster (food of choice for these guys) will become food! also might nip at the sps ! sure you know this but thought i would add it !
im still debating if im gonna add him to the 125 or not !! i do like dusters of any type :)

I like dusters but the copeprband is so cool i will take the trade off! This has always been my favorite fish. Only problem is trying to find a healthy one. Most are cyanide caught so i may end up paying big$$ for an austrailian caught fish!

yea the first i bought lasted all of 3 days this 2nd one is doing great :) even in 90 degree water and the other day was down to 50 and still eating looking good thank god :)
got mine from a lfs for $30

I want one of those so bad!!!!!

Can't take the chance though. :wink:

Can't wait to see the pics of the progress Darin!! :mrgreen:

I will keep you guys poosted. THe electrican sare finishing up today and the drywallers are coming tuesday. THan i have to order the tank and stuff. Man the drywall and electrical cost more than the tank will!!

Looks like the tank will be 84 x 30 x 25 now. The opening in the wall just did not look righ 8 feet long. Good news is the extra width brought the tank from 240 gallons to 275!!! Plus I only need 3 halides now instead of 4. :D

I orderd the tnak. I went with a 84"L x 25"H x 36" W tank for a total of 327 gallons! I will keep you posted with pictures of the progress!

Darin...you're a bad influence on the rest of us. Now we're all going to want one! You should be ashamed (says loganj as he turns green with envy :mrgreen: ).

Seriously, I have a customer in Chattanooga who has approached me about installing a very similar tank in his house so I will be following your progress with this one. Have you looked into the Eco System mud filters? That is something I want to find out more about. Everything I have read, up to this point, has been very positive and I like the fact that it requires less equipment. Do you have a copy of "Ultimate Marine Aquariums" by Micheal Paletta? I just got a copy last week and there is a lot of great info in there on setting up large tanks. I would recommend it if you don't have a copy.

Back
Top Bottom