New tank Plans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gozetec02

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok I finally got the ok from the wife to start a reef tank. I dont want anything honkin big because I live in an apartment.

Here is my plan. I want to use a 40 gallon breeder because they are 36" long 18" wide and 16" deep. Seems like a perfect size to me.

I will start with about 30 lbs of live rock and let it cure in the tank along with a 50/50 crushed coral and live sand mix.

I will have a skimmer and external filter. I will have 2 oscilating powerheads for some wave action. And I am going to add 200 watts of compact flourescent lighting using two 110 watt fixture I plan to make the cover out of that egg crate stuff to allow for maximum light exposure and maximum gas exchange.

My 20 gallon long tank will end up being a quarantine tank.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Wow, sounds great! The only suggestion i would have is to get more lr if you can. The more the merrier! :wink:

Maybe Santa could bring you some..... :x-mas:

I suggest not using CC. most people who do are looking for ways to remove it. 45lb is a good start. might want to go to 60 eventually. Also, depending on what you want to have in there, you may need more light eventually.

LR will reduce your need for an "External filter", though a sump/fuge would be nice.

I have 20 Lbs of LS in my 20 gallon I would like to Create a thin sand base in my new aquarium can I use a the same ammount or should I use 20 more lbs. I want like 1/2" of sand at the bottom to make my tank cleaners jobs easy.

Avoid the CC and go with all sand. Use southdown play sand and buy some LS. Tock is a good start. Often you will buy things attached to rocks (encrusting coral, etc) so I don't worry that much as long as it is about 1:1 gal to LR.

Ok so with all this live rock do I need a powerfilter?

I was planning on using it for my QT tank which would be the 20L i have as my main tank now.

Back
Top Bottom