Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-03-2003, 02:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

new tank plumbing noisy?

new tank plumbing noisy?

i have just set up my tank, and have just done the first fill and washed it out and it is now set-up with saltwater and live rock, pictures here: www.marinefishuk.co.uk/portal/...m.php?n=529#529, marine fish uk or go to www.marinefish.co.uk and look at albums and look under andrew barnett, and they should be there

But have found that the plumbing is very noisy, its basically just from the tank overflows to the sump, the overflows go through the back of the tank, where the plumbing does a 90 degree turn and then down to the sump, does anyone have any ideas of how to make this quieter?

i have heard that if i put holes in the 90 degree bits that come out of the back of the tank the noise should go down as the air can escape, will this work?

thanx,
andrew.

Old 11-03-2003, 02:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

the noise you are experiencing is air trying to escape back up through the plumbing itself. what i did was insert a hollow (3/16") piece of tubing down the pipe going from the overflow and supported it by pinching it w/ the sponge media. hope this makes sense and helps you out!

regards,

micro

Old 11-03-2003, 02:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

oh so with the overflow put some line down it, how long sort of 20cm, and then have it in the middle but keep it in plave with some foam, in the overflow box?

is that what you mean?
Old 11-03-2003, 03:40 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
The amount of airline tubing you need might vary. Slowly lower the airline tubing down till the gurgling goes away.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 04:06 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

cool, i hope it works, will this also stop the air going into the sump?

and should the returns to the sump be above or below the sump water level?
Old 11-03-2003, 04:30 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
my lines are below the water level in the sump simply to lower the splashing sounds in the sump.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 04:54 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

if i add the tubing will this decrease the amount of air that is coming down the tubing?
Old 11-03-2003, 06:50 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to gooyferret Send a message via Yahoo to gooyferret
No it wont affect the air from coming down the tubing in fact i would expect it to draw more air down. Although if its going to the sump shouldnt be a concern.
Old 11-04-2003, 03:32 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

yeah true i was just wondering

Tags
noisy, plumbing, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com