new tank question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smnw10

Aquarium Advice Regular
The cycling thing, I tend to over think it.
I have an established (over a year) 100 gallon setup. I'm setting up a much smaller tank (55 gallon) and have that full of 100lbs dry rock and aragonite sand. I put 20lbs of the cured live rock from the existing 100 gallon tank into this 55...no die off at all. I put some raw shrimp in too for the cycle whatever it was going to do. It's been a week and the the ammonia level is between .5 and .75, nitrites are 0 and nitrates are <5

Is there really going to be a cycle since I have the 20lbs of live rock, thus introducing a good amount of good bacteria?

Just not sure if it would be fine to introduce a small CUC or a fish and slowly build from there to let everything catch up. The snails and really small serpent star hitchhikers on the LR are living and moving around too.

PH 8.2
Alk 6.7 (I'll add for this)
Calcium 475
Phosphates .04

thoughts?

thanks
John

You should wait until the ammonia and then the nitrite is at 0 before adding anything. Invertebrates especially are sensitive to these compounds.

Back
Top Bottom